Re home a dog from animal sanctuary

lien1

I honestly don't think it is as black and white as they just won't rehome to someone who works.

If Mr & Mrs Jones want to adopt a dog but they are away from the house at work from 8am - 6pm but their cousins, friends, neighbours, window cleaner is going to pop in and let the dog out for 10 mins. Do you think a rescue would view that as in the best interest of a dog?

Whereas Mr & Mrs Smith work the same hours as above but their daughter/son is only at college/work for a few hours a week and can be at home with the dog or Mr Smith can come home at lunch to tend to the dog or they have a professional dog walker who spends an hour each day exercising/feeding the dog while they are at work. This is a better option for a dog but both owners still work full time!

Basically I see it as anyone moaning that they were turned away from rehoming because they work, were unable/unwilling to adapt their lives to the needs of a dog so why should a dog adapt/suffer just because a human wants a new dog?

There ARE plenty of rescues that will not rehome to anyone who works (out of the house like most people) full time regardless of arrangements made.

Scrouples won't rehome to anyone who leaves their dog for more than 4 hours total a day and the Retired Greyhound Trust told me an immediate 'no' even though we use a professional dog walker. Which bearing in mind these are dogs that will often previously have been locked in kennels for up to 23 hours a day with limited human companionship I thought was a bit nuts really.

So I think Froger's experience does come from somewhere and you can't blame him/her if they've only heard 'no, no, no' up to now. I can only say please keep looking at other rescues. Greyhound Gap certainly will home to you if you work FT and use a dog walker.

Anyway back to the OP. You need to remember you are now buying a dog from a rescue, you are donating money to help that rescue continue to rescue dogs.

Yes, you COULD buy a dog from some backyard breeder for less money. However your money would then be funding more breeding and adding to the problem of homeless dogs. You would also be getting a dog that hasn't necessarily been health checked, hasn't been checked for temperament, and could be full of worms and fleas. If something goes wrong you're stuck - it's very unlikely a cheap backyard breeder will take the dog back. They won't help you through any behavioural issues you may encounter. These are two things any decent rescue will do for you.

The choice is yours at the end of the day but to me it's a flipping no-brainer choice.

Also bear in mind that people sell even cross breeds and mongrels for stupid money nowadays. Take a look down the page you will see an advert for 'pugshires' that some idiot has bred because they fancied making a quick grand. No responsible breeder with half a brain would use a pug in any breeding.

The Rain Rescue Post seems to suggest that they won't rehome dogs to working people. Please correct me if I am wrong

You are completely wrong!!!

They have recently rehomed a Rottweiler called Olga to a lady who works full time, but her mum pops in daily to let her out to the toilet.

Olga is one of many dogs that has been rehomed to people who work.

We adopted our dog when we both worked full time, but we had a number of things in place for her to ensure she was seen to during the day.

A blanket statement cannot be made about dog rescues - you have to go to meet dogs, discuss your situation/lifestyle to find a suitable dog and take it from there.

I have had no issues at all rescuing two dogs, with both of us working full time.

However, I have made it clear that I am fully prepared (and do) pay for someone to come and walk them around lunchtime. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it to give them a good quality of life. I couldn't have them if I didn't have a dog walker.

I have been more than happy to pay for adoption fees, because it's so easy to see where the money goes. My last rescue, I actually paid more voluntarily as an adoption fee, because I didn't feel the adoption fee was enough given what they'd already done for him (neuter, a couple of vets appointments etc, and rented a kennel for him for the time he was with them). When you see the costs these guys rack up in vets bills/kennel bills etc, I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with a 'high' adoption fee.

I paid more than £200 for my rescues, and would do again if the time came one of mine departed. The rescues put so much time and effort into looking after the sick dogs that come in, sit with them round the clock when they're too Ill to be left, de flea nd worm, vaccinate, not to mention fuel and other running costs.

I disagree with those who say if you can't afford the price you can't look after a dog, what's n insurance policy for then? One of my rescues was totally free, handed over from someone that couldn't be bothered to house train him, doesn't mean I can't afford to take care of him.

I have also come across several rescues who will not rehome to anyone who works full time. Even if you have a dog walker or go home each day on your lunch break

It is such a shame really as most people these days have to work full time. In an ideal world yes it would be best for every single dog to have company most of the day but with most people having to work full time its just not possible

I would rather work full time and know I can provide a dog with whatever that dog needs in terms of vets fees, insurance, quality food, grooming etc. Or would it be worse to rehome to someone on benefits who is at home but cant afford to pay for vet care/injections/worming etc and feeds it on 'value' dog food

Rain rescue are one of the fairly few rescues that judge each case on its own merits although I do know of others that do as well, I also know that they do home to people working full time as my Sister works and had a dog from them.

The problem is that its not every dog that would be suitable or happy in that situation so it takes a special and rarer dog for that type of home, obviously the person must have something in place for a toilet break etc.

Regarding the re-homing fee, well just look at what you are getting for the money, compare it with the cost if you did it all yourself and you will see that really you are getting it all very cheaply indeed.

The Rain Rescue Post seems to suggest that they won't rehome dogs to working people. Please correct me if I am wrong

I got my latest dog from Rain Rescue and both my partner and I work so no this isn`t true. The adoption fee was £185 for him and he had been neutered, microchipped and had his injections. I paid nearly £100 for my last dog just to be neutered so the adoption fee was worth it. :)

Edited by Jackie2141

I paid more than £200 for my rescues, and would do again if the time came one of mine departed. The rescues put so much time and effort into looking after the sick dogs that come in, sit with them round the clock when they're too Ill to be left, de flea nd worm, vaccinate, not to mention fuel and other running costs.

I disagree with those who say if you can't afford the price you can't look after a dog, what's n insurance policy for then? One of my rescues was totally free, handed over from someone that couldn't be bothered to house train him, doesn't mean I can't afford to take care of him.

We have owned dogs for fourteen years and looked at insurance costs and excess levels. All except one of our vets fees have come under the excess fee so insurance isn't always a help. We had to take our young dog to the vets several times for minor things. We could afford it but it would have put pressure on someone relying on insurance to cover the vets bills.