Re home a dog from animal sanctuary

lien1

Rain Rescue take their dogs in from what is ever deemed as a 'crisis' situation. i.e. the dog has nobody anywhere else to help it - which is about 80% of their dogs coming in from dog pounds. We can take a few of the dogs (last year we saved 400 dogs) but we have to leave many behind.

When dogs come into our care, we do a lot of work with them - and provide any and all veterinary treatment they need. Ted an emaciated mastiff that was taken out of a house of grime had come to us at 26kg. He is now 50kg and looking well. However he's having problems with his back end sporadically collapsing. What should we do? We couldn't rehome him with an unknown problem - but anyone could have picked him out of the dog pound like that - but we are treating him and he's just had an MRI scan and he's on medication. At the end if he's well enough to be rehomed we will find a suitable home for him. Thats where the hard part and where all the time comes in.

The dogs in Rain Rescue's care all get walked every single day and then let out of their kennels after tea for toilet every single day. We know our dogs as well as can be done in this environment.

This all costs money to do. However, we work on the dogs everyone wants and that are easy to rehome will get a rehoming fee that goes towards our costs. Those that will struggle in rescue but where we find a good home - if they genuinely can't afford the fee but can afford ongoing bills which some can and often if they have had a dog from us before we know they can - then we don't ask a fee.

Our funding comes in from our shops and our supporters thats how we keep on going and doing what we do. I am not trying to justify any costs within Rescue. I am always saying that soon there will be no rescues around in South Yorkshire for people to slate off, simply because the problem of dumped animals is too great for small welfare groups to cope with when they have no guaranteed income to pay the bills.

Olga - how I loved that girl she lived in our office for months and was a darling. However she would happily sleep all day on the sofa awaiting your return. She also had sore hips and so couldn't go out a lot, and so didn't need to be busy and was happy on the settee. We try to find the right home for the right dog and the right dog for the right home. Its not easy but we never want to see our pets in crisis situations again and so just keep on trying.

Rainrescue - it wasent a dig or anything , I know how hard it is for Dogpound and all rescue places , and to be fair more funding should be given in opinion , but as we all know it wont be.

Just wish at times anyone that would like a dog check out there local rescue places first so many need homes for a number of reasons . Keep doing great work I say to you all

From reading through all the posts it seems it boils down to two main solutions.

Get your dog from a rescue (prices variable) & you get a dog that's been health checked, usually neutered & inoculated, temperament checked & full back up & support from the rescue plus your donation goes towards helping another dog.

Get your dog from a backyard breeder or Internet site (prices free upwards) & you get a dog that you don't know its temperament, usually not neutered, inoculated or health checks (you need to add these amounts to your price as well as any possible health defects that were conveniently not mentioned) you get no back up support from the seller & your contributing to more cruel backyard/puppy farmers & those that buy & sell animals on the internet.

obviously there are the exceptions to the above but can you guarantee just by the "seems a nice person living in a nice house" that this person is someone you can trust?

Or you can be really selfish as there's nothing more self rewarding then knowing not only have you saved your new family member but you have contributed towards saving others.

:clap:

From reading through all the posts it seems it boils down to two main solutions.

Get your dog from a rescue (prices variable) & you get a dog that's been health checked, usually neutered & inoculated, temperament checked & full back up & support from the rescue plus your donation goes towards helping another dog.

Get your dog from a backyard breeder or Internet site (prices free upwards) & you get a dog that you don't know its temperament, usually not neutered, inoculated or health checks (you need to add these amounts to your price as well as any possible health defects that were conveniently not mentioned) you get no back up support from the seller & your contributing to more cruel backyard/puppy farmers & those that buy & sell animals on the internet.

obviously there are the exceptions to the above but can you guarantee just by the "seems a nice person living in a nice house" that this person is someone you can trust?

Or you can be really selfish as there's nothing more self rewarding then knowing not only have you saved your new family member but you have contributed towards saving others.

:clap::clap:

Oh thanks Scousemouse - which dog did you get? We always love to see updates on our Facebook if you can get one to us?

No offence taken at all The Manager, totally understand - there are no rights or wrongs in rescue, but there are some great groups and most of them all work together just trying to pick up the pieces thrown away.

Its a very bad time of year at the moment. The horrendous wrecks and abuse cases we are getting in lately are hard to stomach. Today's is a disgustingly neglected cat thats come into our care - sheer neglect and abuse. All swept under the carpet.

The more we raise it as a problem, I believe the more it will get thought of as a priority and so hopefully more people will turn to help rescues help pets.

IMHO if you cannot afford an adoption fee you are going to struggle to afford the dog. The adoption fee of any rescue centre is no-where near the cost the centre will have spent on the dog, even if only there for a short time. We privately adopted/rescued our first dog, with a cost of £150 - we were lucky he has been great and without issue but needed neutering which was comlicated and cost an additional £150. Our second dog was from Second Chance rescue and cost £220, including neutering, all jabs, health check, full eu passport etc and the fee is a bargain.

My wife and i both work fulltime, and we did get resistance when first looking at rescue centres, but go visit explain your situation and if you are suitable most rescues will consider you, after all they are trying to rehome the dogs. My wife and i work differing shifts and have an excellent dog walker (Gemma) who walks them each lunchtime.

Both our dogs have settled fine and are enjoying life together now.

Good luck to anyone looking to adopt, just make sure you have fully thought it through, if rescue centres dont accept you, its probably for a reason and you need to plan better or dont get a dog, getting a puppy is not a good idea, if you dont have time for a rescue you certainly are not going to have the time for a puppy.

I have two rescue dogs, one came from Rain Rescue and the other from the Mayflower at Doncaster. One dog was £190 and the other was £200 I think. Yes, its a lot of money but when you consider the dogs are vaccinated, de-flead (if necessary) micro-chipped, speyed or castrated, it is a small price to pay. I think Dog Rescues do a great job.

if rescue centres dont accept you, its probably for a reason and you need to plan better or dont get a dog

This is not actually true in the case of many rescue centres, who will tell you a flat out NO regardless of what provisions you make. As soon as you say 'full time' they don't want to know.

Of course there are others who are fine and reasonable, but being told no doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't get a dog or that you haven't planned everything out, sometimes it means that particular rescue has stupid rules (refer to my previous post about the RGT!).