Is it acceptable to give time left on parking to someone else?

The reference to theft was a mistake by me. it just confused the issue. I wasn't intending to liken transferring a ticket to theft. My intention was to highlight people doing something because they were confident that they wouldn't be caught, and not making the decision based on whether it was right or wrong.

Since then, in the case of bus tickets at least, the link I posted to Moneysavingexpert appears to indicate that using someone else's ticket is a criminal offence (and not just a breach of contract). So, in fact, it is akin to stealing, after all. Some people are committing an offence because they know they are unlikely to ever be caught.

You are forgiven :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see someone prosecuted for mishandling a £1.50 tram ticket...

is it acceptable to give your parking ticket to another person if there is still a few hours left to run and would you accept a ticket from someone ?

On Sunday I was having lunch in a pub. One of the girls asked if I'd like one of her Yorkshire puddings as she wasn't that hungry. Was it OK for me to take it or should I have gone back to the bar and ordered an extra one myself?

The reference to theft was a mistake by me. it just confused the issue. I wasn't intending to liken transferring a ticket to theft. My intention was to highlight people doing something because they were confident that they wouldn't be caught, and not making the decision based on whether it was right or wrong.

Since then, in the case of bus tickets at least, the link I posted to Moneysavingexpert appears to indicate that using someone else's ticket is a criminal offence (and not just a breach of contract). So, in fact, it is akin to stealing, after all. Some people are committing an offence because they know they are unlikely to ever be caught.

Edit: A quote from the moneysavingexpert website "an offence is being comitted under 'obtaning services or goods by deception' "

Criminal law?

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:46 ----------

Any lawyers here? I suspect there are grey areas between acts and applying to law.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:48 ----------

Has anyome been prosecuted for using a valid tocket?

If not then i cant see how it can be law.

I can't wait to see someone prosecuted for mishandling a £1.50 tram ticket...

Only had a quick look at the MSE site, but it seems they are saying it's only an offence if the ticket is non-transferrable.

Just had a look at my Mega rider ticket, and it doesn't say anywhere on it that it's not to be transferred. There are some T&Cs on the wallet, and again, no mention of being non-transferrable.

On Sunday I was having lunch in a pub. One of the girls asked if I'd like one of her Yorkshire puddings as she wasn't that hungry. Was it OK for me to take it or should I have gone back to the bar and ordered an extra one myself?

You don't understand the difference between buying an object and buying a license to do something?

Only had a quick look at the MSE site, but it seems they are saying it's only an offence if the ticket is non-transferrable.

Just had a look at my Mega rider ticket, and it doesn't say anywhere on it that it's not to be transferred. There are some T&Cs on the wallet, and again, no mention of being non-transferrable.

:thumbsup: Thanks Olive

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 08:27 ----------

Your particular situation was of interest to me because I have been asked what was basically the same question. One day, last year, I was on Leopold Street when I was approached by a man who had just checked in at the Leopold Hotel and asked me how to drive to the Q-Park. (I didn't see his car, so not sure where it was at the time). It appears that the hotel had suggested that he park there. So, how to get from Leopold Street to Eyre Street?

1. Drive straight down Leopold Street onto Pinstone Street - but expect a ticket for using the bus gate.

2. The back street route via Pinfold Street, Rockingham Street, West Street, Carver Street then the route around the back of John Lewis etc, or

3. Bite the bullet and go up Brook Hill, down Hanover Way etc

I finished up suggesting option 3, IIRC, as it was the simplest to remember. I could basically point to where the Q-Park was, from where we were stood. As a visitor to Sheffield, I can't see him wanting to come back soon if he thinks that this was the best Sheffield could do.

Exactly, some of the comments I've had from people from other cities have been less than complimentary to say the least.

A while ago I had parked on Balm Green at the side of the City Hall and needed to get the car to Burgess St to collect an item from John Lewis dispatch area.

You can see Burgess street from Balm Green it's probably less than 150 yards from where I was parked to where I needed to be but to get there wasn't that simple.

I completely appreciate that one way systems are needed in certain circumstances but can't help thinking that Sheffield city centre road system is needlessly overcomplicated.

Criminal law?

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:46 ----------

Any lawyers here? I suspect there are grey areas between acts and applying to law.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:48 ----------

Has anyome been prosecuted for using a valid tocket?

If not then i cant see how it can be law.

I don't know if it is criminal law or not, but the moneysavingexpert guide seems to be saying it is.

Edit. Even if nobody has ever been prosecuted, it wouldn't mean it couldn't be law.

I don't know if it is criminal law or not, but the moneysavingexpert guide seems to be saying it is.

Edit. Even if nobody has ever been prosecuted, it wouldn't mean it couldn't be law.

Big question though is why is it illegal. Whats the point in this law. You are paying for a parking space. Who cares who is using it so long as its paid for and the owner (in this case the hospital has money for it).

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/legalinfo.aspx

Stagcoach say no transferring tickets.

But Any private company can publish any terms. Doesnt make them criminal law.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 10:31 ----------

Say i issue an invoice or draw up a contract. Those terms would either be applicable in law or not.

However, im free to publish my terms. If someone breaks them its up to the courts to decide not a private company.