Is it acceptable to give time left on parking to someone else?

Well our council isn't having any of that progressive forward thinking business friendly nonsense thank you very much.

There's a few bob to be made out of their cash cow err fellow Sheffielders and that's what's going to continue to happen.

The other thing that impressed me about parking in Oz is the car parks where they have red and green lights on poles at each parking space so you don't have to drive up and down searching.

That's not going to happen in Sheffield either. :(

Didn't you read the post?

Stimpy said that he cannot get a parking space where he lives, and it's effecting local businesses!

Didn't you read the post?

Stimpy said that he cannot get a parking space where he lives, and it's effecting local businesses!

Didn't you understand Stimpy's post, JFK? :confused:

He can't get a parking space as "it's always so busy": I'll let you deduce what the effect on local businesses is ;)

I've seen these 'red and green mini-lights' above each space in multi-storey and underground CP in Strasbourg, agree that they do simplify matters a fair bit.

is it acceptable to give your parking ticket to another person if there is still a few hours left to run and would you accept a ticket from someone ?

Yes to both points.

And if I can't see someone about to pay I stick my ticket on the ticket machine for the next person intending to pay. This is particularly rewarding when same ticket was given to me !

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 11:01 ----------

Or I could pay for 4 hours and stay for 4 hours, just because I can? Is that ok? What's the difference in two cars using it for the 4 hours? Hospital parking is even more of a racket - some people are dashing in to see a relative who could be on their last knockings and they are having to faff about with parking money.

Totally agree - don't get me started on staff having to pay to park !

Edited by Daven

He can't get a parking space as "it's always so busy": I'll let you deduce what the effect on local businesses is ;)

People parked up for the day maybe? :hihi:

For example, if the RHH hospital parking was free, it'll be full for the day by 8:30 am and nobody else could get a space. The fact that they charge at a level that puts staff off from using it means that there is space for visitors to use it. Even then it often gets full.

Wouldn't something similar happen to the city centre parking?

I do accept though that probably I was mistaken though.

Also, how could all the private parking spaces, which make up the majority of the parking in the city centre, could be made free?

I've seen these 'red and green mini-lights' above each space in multi-storey and underground CP in Strasbourg, agree that they do simplify matters a fair bit.

Lots of commuters parking up mean that nobody can park to shop perhaps...

People parked up for the day maybe? :hihi:

Lots of commuters parking up mean that nobody can park to shop perhaps...
Well, since you're both adept at inferring things, can I have a pop too? So, where in Stimpy's post could it not suggest that free parking in Oz is time-limited, e.g. 2 hours only and no return? ;):P:D

Also, how could all the private parking spaces, which make up the majority of the parking in the city centre, could be made free?
Subsidy-based payments based on higher business rates (derived from increased commercial activity)?

is it acceptable to give your parking ticket to another person if there is still a few hours left to run and would you accept a ticket from someone ?

of course its ok to pass it on. im in favour of anything which stops parking companies and the council earning money from motorists.

Well our council isn't having any of that progressive forward thinking business friendly nonsense thank you very much.

There's a few bob to be made out of their cash cow err fellow Sheffielders and that's what's going to continue to happen.

The other thing that impressed me about parking in Oz is the car parks where they have red and green lights on poles at each parking space so you don't have to drive up and down searching.

That's not going to happen in Sheffield either. :(

The have them in the new Sainburys off Peniston Road... admittedely they dont appear to work very well.

jb

If there's nobody to pass it onto I stick it on the meter where the next visitor will see it before paying.

Quote often I use the wasteland car park just off Division Street and on the last three visits I've been given a ticket by someone leaving, and on all three occasions they've refused any cash for it.