Is it acceptable to give time left on parking to someone else?

Another option is to turn left at Debenhams, up pinstone street, left again and loop round the back of John Lewis, right back onto Pinstone Street, and left at Moorhead and down Furnival Gate to Eyre Street.

True, that didn't occur to me, I obviously wasn't concentrating too well what with all the swearing I was doing.

Still a bit convoluted though, and you'd probably end up dizzy! :)

Transferable or nontransferable - who knows.

If I pass on a ticket that has another hour or so left on it to another driver then I consider that a gift to them.

Are you saying I am not allowed to give someone a gift ?

Edited by Daven

Only if the ticket is transferable..do you understand the meaning of nontransferable?

The point is, the burden of proof lies with you and your own set of personal standards..not the driver.

For me I would use the ticket transferable or not..that doesn't detract from what I've done as right or wrong.

Yes I know the meaning of nontransferable! And?

Transferable or nontransferable - who knows.

If I pass on a ticket that has another hour or so left on it another driver then I consider that a gift to them.

Are you saying I am not allowed to give someone a gift ?

Legally, yes, if the ticket is non transferable, you can gift them the bit of paper, but not the right to park for another hour.

And if the ticket has the number plate then they could still get a PCN for not displaying a valid ticket.

I once offered a parking ticket when coming out of the hospital to a woman, it turned out she was a local councillor and gave me a telling off (bet she claimed her parking ticket on her expenses thou):hihi:

That does annoy me it's always acceptable. It's been paid for so what's the problem?

I suppose there is a valid argument that if you wish to use (and therefore park) a motor vehicle in public spaces in this congested country you have to abide by any rules about where you may leave it and under what conditions. This arguably extends to the non-transferability of any parking space you pay to rent for a set amount of time. As with renting anything or anywhere else, you are usually not free, under the terms of the contract, to give that 'right' to someone else whether or not you charge them to use the facility/property, whatever.

Some would argue that is like lending someone your annual membership card for the National Trust or a leisure centre (so they get in free when otherwise they would have to pay), which many feel is unscrupulous and wrong.

But private, profit-making car parks, especially in hospitals, are the unacceptable face of capitalism as far as I am concerned and I have no scruples about depriving them of profit!

Edited by aliceBB

Moneysaving experts comments regarding the transfer of bus tickets.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3222164%26page%3D2&ei=ige-VN-wEtGR7AaNnIDYDg&usg=AFQjCNFfmL1IZ_9V3qr4qCSNxd77-7H5cg

Not just the initial comment, but subsequent discussions

Edit. According to this, the person who reuses someone else's ticket appears to be breaking the law, not just breaching a contract.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 08:27 ----------

True, that didn't occur to me, I obviously wasn't concentrating too well what with all the swearing I was doing.

Still a bit convoluted though, and you'd probably end up dizzy! :)

Your particular situation was of interest to me because I have been asked what was basically the same question. One day, last year, I was on Leopold Street when I was approached by a man who had just checked in at the Leopold Hotel and asked me how to drive to the Q-Park. (I didn't see his car, so not sure where it was at the time). It appears that the hotel had suggested that he park there. So, how to get from Leopold Street to Eyre Street?

1. Drive straight down Leopold Street onto Pinstone Street - but expect a ticket for using the bus gate.

2. The back street route via Pinfold Street, Rockingham Street, West Street, Carver Street then the route around the back of John Lewis etc, or

3. Bite the bullet and go up Brook Hill, down Hanover Way etc

I finished up suggesting option 3, IIRC, as it was the simplest to remember. I could basically point to where the Q-Park was, from where we were stood. As a visitor to Sheffield, I can't see him wanting to come back soon if he thinks that this was the best Sheffield could do.

I don't know if the hotel and Q-Parks have some arrangement, but if they do, I think that they should make sure that customers are well directed.

Edit. My memory is playing tricks. I've just found a post I wrote, after the event, which was 5 years ago, not last year :o. ...and in fact I told him the back street route, not the ring road route.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Who cares if they are non transferable. If a someone has paid for 2 hours of parking and passes it on after 1 hr , then there is still 1 hr of PAID FOR parking on that ticket.

That was kind of my point penistone.

Someone compared that to theft???

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:06 ----------

Moneysaving experts comments regarding the transfer of bus tickets.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3222164%26page%3D2&ei=ige-VN-wEtGR7AaNnIDYDg&usg=AFQjCNFfmL1IZ_9V3qr4qCSNxd77-7H5cg

Not just the initial comment, but subsequent discussions

Edit. According to this, the person who reuses someone else's ticket appears to be breaking the law, not just breaching a contract.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 08:27 ----------

Your particular situation was of interest to me because I have been asked what was basically the same question. One day, last year, I was on Leopold Street when I was approached by a man who had just checked in at the Leopold Hotel and asked me how to drive to the Q-Park. (I didn't see his car, so not sure where it was at the time). It appears that the hotel had suggested that he park there. So, how to get from Leopold Street to Eyre Street?

1. Drive straight down Leopold Street onto Pinstone Street - but expect a ticket for using the bus gate.

2. The back street route via Pinfold Street, Rockingham Street, West Street, Carver Street then the route around the back of John Lewis etc, or

3. Bite the bullet and go up Brook Hill, down Hanover Way etc

I finished up suggesting option 3, IIRC, as it was the simplest to remember. I could basically point to where the Q-Park was, from where we were stood. As a visitor to Sheffield, I can't see him wanting to come back soon if he thinks that this was the best Sheffield could do.

I don't know if the hotel and Q-Parks have some arrangement, but if they do, I think that they should make sure that customers are well directed.

Edit. My memory is playing tricks. I've just found a post I wrote, after the event, which was 5 years ago, not last year :o. ...and in fact I told him the back street route, not the ring road route.

A bunch of acts were quoted on mse. The threat of prosecution is 0% if the ticket is valid.

That was kind of my point penistone.

Someone compared that to theft???

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 09:06 ----------

A bunch of acts were quoted on mse. The threat of prosecution is 0% if the ticket is valid.

The reference to theft was a mistake by me. it just confused the issue. I wasn't intending to liken transferring a ticket to theft. My intention was to highlight people doing something because they were confident that they wouldn't be caught, and not making the decision based on whether it was right or wrong.

Since then, in the case of bus tickets at least, the link I posted to Moneysavingexpert appears to indicate that using someone else's ticket is a criminal offence (and not just a breach of contract). So, in fact, it is akin to stealing, after all. Some people are committing an offence because they know they are unlikely to ever be caught.

Edit: A quote from the moneysavingexpert website "an offence is being comitted under 'obtaning services or goods by deception' "

Edited by Eater Sundae