Chesterfield: Crooked spire pub closed down!

I hope this is the right section to post this thread in, as its to do with a once-popular pub in Chesterfield town centre. I was visiting Chesterfield last Monday and noticed that the Crooked Spire, just opposite the Tourist Information Centre beside the Parish Churchyard, was freshly boarded up with steel shutters and clearly had been closed down, probably just in the previous week or so.

If no-one is forthcoming soon to take over the pub and reopen it, it seems a very sad moment; while it was for the most part an unremarkable pub, it was a nice place to relax for lunch and a drink within a short walk of the famous church with its crooked spire, and in its current empty state, it is quite a visible blot on the historic town centre. While I was there I noticed also a lot of other shops and a few pubs (Such as the former Centro Bar) which have been closed down and are lying empty. As bad as things are here in Sheffield, it appears that smaller centres such as Chesterfield may be even worse hit, especially if people tend to gravitate towards larger centres. Are there any initiatives perhaps, by the Local Derbyshire CC, to encourage low-cost reoccupation of such empty premises? There will need to be more such initiatives if such town centres are at increasing risk of decline.:rant:

Not necessarily. A lot of pubs that way have closed down and reopened under a different name and aimed at a different market. My memories of that pub involve sarurday afternoon drinkers sprawled out over gravestones after spilling out of the beer garden. That was many years ago. I'm hoping for something a bit more up market, dare I say a bit touristy.

The Crooked Spire pub closed just a few weeks before Christmas Marstons have sold the pub to Enterprise Inns. Work is planned to start to refurbish the pub in February over the last few weeks workmen have been in to do odd jobs inside its location is good just needs updating.

The Crooked Spire pub closed just a few weeks before Christmas Marstons have sold the pub to Enterprise Inns. Work is planned to start to refurbish the pub in February over the last few weeks workmen have been in to do odd jobs inside its location is good just needs updating.

But this is Sheffield Forum, where the worst thing possible is what will happen ;) Always amusing when someone goes off on a rant without knowing any of the facts.

Not necessarily. A lot of pubs that way have closed down and reopened under a different name and aimed at a different market. My memories of that pub involve sarurday afternoon drinkers sprawled out over gravestones after spilling out of the beer garden. That was many years ago. I'm hoping for something a bit more up market, dare I say a bit touristy.

Lets hope so; it would make a fantastic place for afternoon teas, decent pub lunches and also wedding parties going to the Church; if run in the right way it will make a fantastic local venue.:)

• 1 month later...