Toyota Scarlet - airbag warning light

I have a Toyota Scarlet R reg.

At the last service, I was told that the airbag warning light does not light up on the dashboard and that my car would not pass its next MOT if this wasn't fixed.

The garage asked an auto electrician on the day of the service to look at the problem but he didn't find the problem. Apparently he only had one of his diagnostic machines with him on the day. He said he checked the wiring, fuses, which all seemed fine. He said he would need more time to look into the problem and will have to use his other diagnostic machine. He said it could be the 'box' which may cost more than the car is worth. Not sure what 'box' he was referring to but again, that was only speculation.

Any ideas or help where I could take the car to be looked at in the Sheffield area? MOT is due soon.

Thank you.

Who ever it was fed you with a load of tosh.

It needs a good diagnostic machine and user, there will be codes showing that point to where the problem lies.

It could be anything from a loose wire under a seat to a previous air-bag activation but without knowing the full history and plugging it in its guess work.A bulb or led could have been disabled to discusie the issue so you have probably 2 issues.A fault and possibly a dash issue.

Edited by Xt500

An inoperative airbag warning lamp is not a reason for rejection on an MOT. It can only fail if the lamp is showing a fault, the lamp not working does not indicate a fault therefore it is a pass and advise at the most.

"THIS" is the testers manual page for SRS, there is no mention of missing or inoperative SRS lamps

To put it in perspective "THIS" is the testers manual page for ABS.

Jb is correct about the odd MOT rules.

But if the airbag light is failing to come on I'd be worried that a previous owner has been tampering to hide an airbag fault.

Now that dashboard light bulbs tend to be soldered on LED devices and its not possible to take out the bulb I've read of instances where black electrical tape has been used or the LED even smashed in to prevent it lighting.