Will we ever know the meaning of life?

This is from another thread that got a bit derailed by the topic. Thought I'd start a fresh one.

Whether you're religious or and atheist (like me), it's impossible to say for sure that theirs no such thing as a god or divine creator.

This is from another thread that got a bit derailed by the topic. Thought I'd start a fresh one.

Whether you're religious or and atheist (like me), it's impossible to say for sure that theirs no such thing as a god or divine creator.

Of course.

It is 42.

End of thread.

It's irrelevant what happened before the Big Bang though. Currently it's the best model for the Universe as we see and understand it.

Why is it irrelevant?

I understand and agree with you. But to ask what caused the big bang is not irrelevant.

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 23:51 ----------

Of course.

It is 42.

End of thread.

Very funny!

That depends if you are going to allow "Goddidit" arguments or not :)

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 23:55 ----------

Why is it irrelevant?

I understand and agree with you. But to ask what caused the big bang is not irrelevant.

Because it's impossible to transmit information through the singularity. It therefore doesnt matter what went on before - it could be anything - and we have no way of veryifying anyway - as no information can be transmitted.

It is the one case where you can claim anything and no one can refute you. But then again, you cannot refute their claims...:-)

That depends if you are going to allow "Goddidit" arguments or not :)

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 23:55 ----------

Because it's impossible to transmit information through the singularity. It therefore doesnt matter what went on before - it could be anything - and we have no way of veryifying anyway - as no information can be transmitted.

It is the one case where you can claim anything and no one can refute you. But then again, you cannot refute their claims...:-)

So it could have been created? Therefore there could be a "god" behind all this? Maybe not an all seeing, hearing being that listens to prayers and punishes evil. But some kind of creator. One we will never meet.

Like I maid if you are going to introduce goddidit arguments then it's easy to construct anything. But if you want to make a scientific argument it needs to be testable and falsifiable.

But you can't test what happened before the big bang. Therefore anything goes.

Exactly. Hence you cannot make it a scientific argument, and it's not provable.

Ultimately when you ask what the meaning of life is, you are coming down to a choice of an unprovable higher power. That to my mind is merely a projection of groupthink, or if you don't belong to any church or sect or cabal or whatever then it's an personal and individual projection. Whatever it is, it comes from within your imagination, nowhere else. The meaning of life is entirely what you want to make of it - and remember you only get one shot, and your time is limited. Carpe Diem.

It also depends on what you mean by 'the meaning of life'.

How the universe (or biological life) began is not necessarily the same thing as why it began, or why we are on this planet and whether there is a wider purpose to our lives than just existing as the lucky products of random evolutionary events.

Answers should be no longer than 50 words and should be wholly original...

The meaning of life is to live and then die, possibly some reproduction along the way.

The End.

Edited by anfisa