Increase in shoplifting

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/25/shoplifting-increase-overall-crime-figures-fall-england-wales

Is it a coincidence that with the influx of foreign people to our shores there is an increase in shoplifting? Are the two connected?

Is it our open borders policy that has contributed to this 10 year increase?

I think its down to government policy myself but what do i know?

What do you think?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/25/shoplifting-increase-overall-crime-figures-fall-england-wales

Is it a coincidence that with the influx of foreign people to our shores there is an increase in shoplifting? Are the two connected?

What do you think?

Do you think that the double dip recession, zero hour contracts, youth unemployment, growing inequality and the continuing rise of consumerism may also have had a connection?

What do you think?

Unless there has been data released to correlate arrests, country or origin AND time in the UK then it's all just conjecture.

It could just as equally be down to more people having their benefits sanctioned, or the lack of decent stuff on TV for people to stay in and watch.

Do you think that the double dip recession, zero hour contracts, youth unemployment, growing inequality and the continuing rise of consumerism may also have had a connection?

Was going to say similar, at no point in the article does it suggest the influx of migrants are responsible for the rise in shoplifting

Most definitely yes. I think that whilst there may be more thieves in our country now its no where near enough to make a big difference but i worry that after what i heard whilst out this morning some peop0le will be making a point about the increase in immigration being directly related to more theft. Thankfully it was some frothing fat jobless gobbag so im not too concerned yet but if someone with some clout gets hold of the idea, well it could turn nasty.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 13:25 ----------

Was going to say similar, at no point in the article does it suggest the influx of migrants are responsible for the rise in shoplifting

I know. The connection isnt being made by the paper but by some people who read it and others.

Most definitely yes. I think that whilst there may be more thieves in our country now its no where near enough to make a big difference but i worry that after what i heard whilst out this morning some peop0le will be making a point about the increase in immigration being directly related to more theft. Thankfully it was some frothing fat jobless gobbag so im not too concerned yet but if someone with some clout gets hold of the idea, well it could turn nasty.

I know. The connection isnt being made by the paper but by some people who read it and others.

So basically people are making the connection based upon nothing more than their prejudices?

What do you think?

The levels of immigration we have seen will have contributed to increased living costs for all and lower wages for the poorest, both are very likley to affect peoples ability to buy what they need/want and when some people can not buy what they need/want they resort to thieving. So yes immigration could have contributed to rise in shoplifting.