Plain packaging for tobacco..on its way

Don't worry by the time the EU have properly dug their teeth in you will have little choice.

No doubt they will be sending out recommended menus to adhere to too.

Oops, there you go again! :hihi:

Funny isn't it, that the UK has by far the highest excise duty on tobacco, alcohol and fuel compared to pretty much anywhere in the EU other than Ireland?

It is basically double what you pay anywhere else. It is also higher than most on alcohol duty.

Wait, what is that? Fuel? Ah yes, second highest on diesel, 9th highest on petrol.

Great though isn't it? When you can deflect all the nonsense from your own wonderful government by being ill-informed and just bleating about the EU randomly until some other joker somewhere agrees with you :D

this should make the fakes so much easier to sell

It's not exactly hard for a manufacturer of fakes to also fake the packaging as it is, so I don't think basic pack designs will make any difference.

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:05 ----------

I think they should black out windows at Mc Donalds and chippys lol.After all fat folk cost us billions.

The big problem is the cost of treating the heart disease, lung cancer and liver disease of those people who don't pay their fare share of duty on cigs and booze to the exchequer, because they buy them on the black market.

That much is true.

If, on the other hand, you are a 16 year old just starting out on the road to smoke heaven, what do you ask for? And how do you react when you get the plain pack with the ugly picture of some incurable disease?

This isn't aimed at current smokers. It is aimed at stopping smokers of the future. A good idea, in my opinion. An opinion that has been forged by a 30 year smoking career... now thankfully behind me.

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 23:41 ----------

I have some advice for you Tim.

Just stop.

It really is that easy. Don't light the next one and go from there.

WOW...

You ought to be put in charge of the stop smoking campaign. Where have the thousands of smokers been going wrong? They NEED you Sibon.

It's not exactly hard for a manufacturer of fakes to also fake the packaging as it is, so I don't think basic pack designs will make any difference.

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:05 ----------

The big problem is the cost of treating the heart disease, lung cancer and liver disease of those people who don't pay their fare share of duty on cigs and booze to the exchequer, because they buy them on the black market.

Every single time a worker gets paid,he pays tax,every single time he travels to work he pays tax.He also pays tax to keep warm,to own a home,and feed himself he pays tax.Im sure you dont need ALL the ways he pays tax listing for you,but i feel pretty sure a few black market fags (which are very limited nowadays) or not he already pays his whack.

Think I read that the banning of smoking in your privately owned car comes into force this coming October, is that meddling too much?

Id love to see them try and enforce that stupidity.

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:32 ----------

Where do you get your diesel from?

out of a pump , where else :)

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:38 ----------

Organised crime or not, there's a massive saving to be had, the missus bought all her cigs from the shops and it cost £70 a week for her to smoke, I bought my bacca from abroad and it cost me £10 a week.

You know it makes sense.

Edit to add:

You can buy enough bacca in one hit from abroad to last a couple of years before going back so, it doesn't always mean that you are doing any wrong by not buying it from the shops here in Britain.

You were ripped off , i pay £7 for a 50g pouch .

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:40 ----------

Anyone who doesn't look for cheaper alternatives would have to be stupid or have more money than sense,when the prices here in the UK are no less than daylight robbery,yet legal.

who cares about what SOME think!!

On a typical pack of 20 premium cigarettes the total tax burden of £6.17 accounts for 77% of the recommended retail price (RRP) of £7.98.

Spot on, why pay double what they cost from the Fagman . Our lass smokes 20 cigs a day , £3 per pack , cant go wrong.

Edited by Penistone999

Every single time a worker gets paid,he pays tax,every single time he travels to work he pays tax.He also pays tax to keep warm,to own a home,and feed himself he pays tax.Im sure you dont need ALL the ways he pays tax listing for you,but i feel pretty sure a few black market fags (which are very limited nowadays) or not he already pays his whack.

That argument is quite hollow:

A pays some tax.

Thus he shouldn't have to pay all his tax,

because he already pays some tax.

Id love to see them try and enforce that stupidity.

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:32 ----------

out of a pump , where else :)

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:38 ----------

You were ripped off , i pay £7 for a 50g pouch .

---------- Post added 22-01-2015 at 15:40 ----------

Spot on, why pay double what they cost from the Fagman . Our lass smokes 20 cigs a day , £3 per pack , cant go wrong.

Cling to that thought when she's on an nhs waiting list for a heart op or cancer treatment.