Sheffield Empire

I only got to visit the one time in 1958 at 15yrs old sat up in the gods with some pals at the time!.I can only remember one of the acts Johnny Duncan and the Blue Grass Boys,their hit at the time "Last Train To San Fernando",it was a night remembered because I arrived home late and got into a set too with my old man who was not averse to locking me out!.He was very old fashioned set in his ways and too big to argue with but I stood my corner just the same!.

Like most on here I used to go "in the Gods " and can remember seeing Shirley Bassey for the first time, she had on a skin tight bright red sequinned dress, she looked and sounded wonderful......A

An oasis of colour and light in a dull postwar world ! the foyer, presided over by Johnny Spitzer in evening dress. Ooh I feel quite dizzy.

For the gods you bought your ticket and then went round the side as the entrance was in Union Street. As has been said, about 1/6d, in the top tier and four bob to 7/6d, in the posh parts downstairs.

Hi handypandy - I enjoyed your attachment very much. Some names were familiar, some I didn't know and wish I had. I can't get enough of reading about the old show business names, having read books on Morecambe and Wise, Frankie Howerd and other comedians and singers too numerous to mention and that I have forgotten the names of. I have enjoyed some of the American books i.e. Ed Sullivan who used to have quite a few British acts on his Sunday night show which ran for years. I think there might be another thread on the 'Empire' and I think is worth a read or a possible merge with this thread. 'fleetwood'

Edited by fleetwood

I have an old envelope which originally was give out with booked tickets which disappeared when they were used.

The front of the envelope has a printed seating plan of all the seats, this was used to mark off which seats you had booked as well as a useful guide to where your seats were.

As a kid I loved the pantomimes there.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Cuttsie, do they mention my great grandfather at all Frank Cooper he was a carpenter/joiner at the Empire.?

I will have a look later on .

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 12:04 ----------

I will have a look later on .

Here are the named employees.

Booking,Cissie Williams.

Manager L.E.Pierpoint.

Ass Manager, J Spitzer.

Musical Director , Maurice Newton.

Managing Director, Val Parnell.

Cigarettes by Abdulla,?

Whisky 2/-, Gin 1/9, Port 2/-, Beer 1/-.

Nylon Stockings by, Kaysor-Bonder.