Hopkinson's Delicatessen, Broomhill 1952-1989

amanda161

Hi IRONMONGER - some interesting recollections there! I'd noticed that 501 Glossop Road is a more modern building; to judge from the directories I have it dates from the early 1960s. Woodhouse's first appears around 1956. As you wrote "J.W. Kesteven, grocer" is shown at No 495 in the 1960s. This business is actually listed at the same address as long ago as 1905 in the name of John William Kesteven (1877-1952). His son, also John William, evidently took over the business. The family hailed from Rotherham where they had been tailors. No 493 is shown as "Cotterill's café" with "William Cotterill, florist" next door at No 491. Darley's is shown at No 493 from the 1942 directory onwards - before the war it had been a butcher's shop (directories from the 1930s show J.F. Darley at 181-187 The Moor - bombed out as you wrote). "Harold Cornthwaite, chemist" is shown at No 485 from 1942 until the last (1974) Kelly's Directory. The 1930 directory shows "Miss Brenda Allen, ladies' hairdresser" at No 483 on the corner, but by 1936 it was "Arnold Hinchliffe, hairdresser" and by the 1970s "D. Hinchliffe".

I remember that in Hillsborough in the 1950s, the three main grocers Hemmines, Davy's and Bush's all had big red coffee grinders (though they didn't seem to use them very much). I guess Reginald P. Bush took his machine with him when he moved from Middlewood Road to Broomhill around 1970..:)

Hi Amanda,

i remember the delicatessen, I used to go to Crookes Endowed school, where I think your sister and brother also went, if my mind is correct?

David Hopkinson unfortunately no longer with us from a young age, and your sister Maxine?

Hi 'owlinaus' you have a very good memory. Yes David died just before his 10th birthday and he and my sister Maxine both I believe went to Crookes Endowed. Maxine lives in Hillsborough now. Were you in the same class as either of them?

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 21:12 ----------

Hi 'BullerboY' yes they did have a shop in Upperthorpe in the late 60s-70s. It's where Upperthorpe grocers is now. They also had one at Banner Cross and a butchers shop at Woodseats which is now Kito's Italian Restaurant.

Hello again Amanda161, yes I was in the same class as Maxine,and then went to Tapton after Crookes Endowed, I can still remember David, and from memory the story going around was he unfortunately fell out of a tree, but I could never confirm that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again Amanda161, yes I was in the same class as Maxine,and then went to Tapton after Crookes Endowed, I can still remember David, and from memory the story going around was he unfortunately fell out of a tree, but I could never confirm that.

Sorry Owlinus (and Amanda), but you are both wrong. Both I and my sister, Nicki, were pupils at Nether Green Junior School. Only David attended Crookes Endowed - although we both went to Broomhill Infant School. However, I also went to Tapton Secondary Modern after leaving Nether Green, so possibly we were in the same class at Tapton?

You are correct about David in that he fell from a tree. It was the Horse Chestnut tree that grew at the entrance leading from Glossop Road onto what we used to call "The Avenue". It's a private road that runs along the back of Girls High School playing field. There are several grand houses on The Avenue which were probably private residences at one time but are now owned by Sheffield University.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 21:17 ----------

Large red coffee grinder

Hi Hillsbro and Old Tup. Hopkinson's also had a coffee grinder - although I don't think it was a "big red one". We certainly ground our own coffee though, as I can remember the delicious scent of the beans.