Hopkinson's Delicatessen, Broomhill 1952-1989

amanda161

I didn't go to Sunday School, but I went to the Wesley Youth Club for a while and it's possible that my two siblings went too, although I'm not sure - possibly Nicki was a bit young, as I was only about 9 or 10 at the time. I remember they had a snooker/pool table and a small tuck shop where I treated myself to Smith's crisps and a glass of orange squash. I was a bit too shy to be particularly social, but I do remember the assortment of old comic books that were available and kept me entertained whilst I munched my crisps and listened to the music that I think came from a jukebox.

You sound about the same age as me, Ironmonger. David was just under 3 years younger than me - I was born in 1952 and he was born in 1955.

Our age difference was even greater than I thought as I was born in 1948, and we went to live over a second shop in Dronfield around 1962 thus breaking all contact with the Wesley. The Wesley, of course, had it's steeple blown off in a thunderstorm c.1976 which culminated in it's demolition and eventual rebuild.

Regarding Glossop Road shops: Was the cobbled road behind Chez Brian etc known as "Caseys' Court",also am I correct in thinking that there was "The Tropical Fish Centre" at the bottom, a ladies hairdressers about three shops up

and the original "Pink Panther" Restaurant which became the chinese takeaway?

Hi ruth auty - the 1974 Kelly's Directory (the last one published) shows the Tropical Fish Centre at 456-458 Glossop Road (the bottom of the yard as you wrote) and "P.A. Croskin, ladies' hairdresser" a little further up at No 464. At that time the "Gourmet" restaurant was at No 466 (where the Chinese takeaway is now)..:)

Thanks Hillsboro, I remember going into the ladies hairdressers, there were curtains everywhere, i was promptly informed that they did not cut childrens' hair! This would have been in the late sixties, I ended up having the usual "crop" at Hinchliffes' Barbers at the corner of Ashgate Road. I also remember being taken for a meal at the restaurant, we sat upstairs and the handrail was decorated with wrought iron musical notes!

Yes Ironmonger I think you are right there. I have a very vague memory of going to a youth club with Anne Walkerdine, but only the once and I remember David going to a youth club and being turned away because he was too young, but he just kept going back every week until they finally relented and let him stay. The summer club Maxine was just for a week and was fantastic! I have some great memories of it with puppet making and story telling. I didn't want it to end. In fact I loved it so much I wanted to be adopted by the vicar who ran it, Rev. Aidie.

So where abouts in Broomhill did you live?

Our age difference was even greater than I thought as I was born in 1948, and we went to live over a second shop in Dronfield around 1962 thus breaking all contact with the Wesley. The Wesley, of course, had it's steeple blown off in a thunderstorm c.1976 which culminated in it's demolition and eventual rebuild.

Slight correction to David's age - idiot that I am not to know the year of my own brother's birth. He was born in 1954 and was nine when he died in 1963.

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 08:48 ----------

Yes Ironmonger I think you are right there. I have a very vague memory of going to a youth club with Anne Walkerdine, but only the once and I remember David going to a youth club and being turned away because he was too young, but he just kept going back every week until they finally relented and let him stay. The summer club Maxine was just for a week and was fantastic! I have some great memories of it with puppet making and story telling. I didn't want it to end. In fact I loved it so much I wanted to be adopted by the vicar who ran it, Rev. Aidie.

So where abouts in Broomhill did you live?

It doesn't surprise me that David got into the youth club by sheer persistence, because that's exactly the same way that he joined the Cubs, when he was underage - I think the proper joining age was nine or was it eight?

Edited by earthdragon

He died in 1964

Sorry Nicki, I stand corrected. Looks like I was right the first time and he was born in 1955, since I'm sure he was nine when we lost him, and if he was after conkers, then it was probably around September/October of that year. I don't know why I have 1963 on my mind - something must have happened in that year for me to be thinking about it.

Hi ruth auty,

There was only one incarnation of the 'Pink Panther' ,it opened at 216 Fulwood Road c.1969/70. It was owned by Lifting Gear Products of Petre Street predominantly to entertain their customers but it became one of the best loved restaurants in Sheffield. Managed by Jose and his lovely wife Felicia who retired back to Spain. Also there was another Jose, a waiter, also known as Joe who now owns the Dore Grill.

The Pink Panther is now, sadly, The Balti King.