Hopkinson's Delicatessen, Broomhill 1952-1989

amanda161

Hi nicglo27,

We lived in Hoole Road, with our good friends the Watchorn family living around the corner on Pisgah House Road.

Our first shop was on Crookes Road - so I reckon that's given the game away.

I reckon that this thread may be set to become the biggest on the Forum!

The only shop I can remember on Crookes Road was a grocery owned by Mr and Mrs Jackson. Their daughter, Margaret, was one of my friends and I remember that she was a very pretty girl. I think that Margaret went to college to train as a Nursery Nurse (as they used to call it) after she left school. The last time I passed the grocery, it was a pet shop (or was it a Vet's surgery?). Sadly, most of those shops at the lower end of Crookes Road are now charity shops or take-aways. Broomhill has deteriorated sadly from what it used to be. It used to have the feel of a village, but no longer.

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 20:08 ----------

10.08.54 - 28.07.64

Now I've definitely lost it. I can only blame my shocking lapse of memory on it being age related. Keep taking the pills!

Edited by earthdragon

I don't beleeeeve it!! I cannot remember the pretty girl Margaret Jackson. I do remember Norman Jackson and his jovial manner, gosh he worked so hard to make that off licence pay it's way. He eventually gave up and moved across the city, I seem to think that he went to work at Bramah at Halfway but that could well be wrong. I do remember Norman buying a green Morris Oxford Estate car in 1967, my father liked it so much that he bought one in two tone Rose Taupe and Dove Grey model later the same year, at a cost of £850.

I suppose the most surprising fact of the downfall of Broomhill is that it managed to defer it for so long. Broomhill managed to keep it's village atmosphere longer than most other city suburbs. There are many, many factors leading to it's demise. The loss of rich ladies with chauffeurs among the first, greedy landlords, the growth of mass retailers such as B&Q and Tesco, relocation of our student population, Meadowhall, the longest recession that I have ever witnessed and of course, the general public's utter infatuation with Internet shopping.

When I look back at all those lovely family businesses that gave the public such fabulous service it does seem like another age. The top quality dress shops, six bakers,five butchers, five greengrocer's, three hardware shops, five shops selling paint, four chemists, five sweet shops, five various off licences, an animal and horse food shop, two china shops, two tobacconists, two jewellers and watch repairers, one gas board showroom, two men's outfitters, two shoe shops and a milliners ( ladies hat shop to you). There were so many more that have slipped my memory such as four dry cleaners and who remembers Castle's the furniture shop and Orme's of Bakewell?

Blimey, I remember Jacksons, there was a step between the two different levels in the shop. Does anyone remember the haberdashers which was based in the bow fronted shop almost opposite Jacksons? Wasn't Ormes based in the double fronted shop on Fulwood Road which later became Oxleys Gents outfitters, the loading bay for goods coming into the shop was almost directly opposite our back door on Ashgate Road?

Blimey, I remember Jacksons, there was a step between the two different levels in the shop. Does anyone remember the haberdashers which was based in the bow fronted shop almost opposite Jacksons? Wasn't Ormes based in the double fronted shop on Fulwood Road which later became Oxleys Gents outfitters, the loading bay for goods coming into the shop was almost directly opposite our back door on Ashgate Road?

That is exactly where Orme's was, the manager was Ron Markin, this shop later became 'International' and closed when 'Macmarket' also became 'International'. This unit was then bought by Gerry Laitner to become Oxley's after a protracted battle with Russ Hartley who at that time ran a chain of discount shops called Fred Hartley.

In my early day's the bow fronted shop had the name 'Wagstaffe' on the fascia but was always empty. In the early sixties a lovely young lady opened it as a wool shop, I cannot remember her name but I am sure that she was related to the Redfearns who at that time owned the newsagent a few doors down. When the Fulwood Road block was due for demolition to build the new Arndale Centre Mrs. Patrick moved her wool and haberdashery shop from here into the bow fronted shop at 14 Crookes Road. After Mrs Patrick retired the shop became Paws Here.

Edited by IRONMONGER
Spelling

Ormes of Bakewell... They used to bottle their own Guinness. My dad always said it tasted better than the alternatives. I don't think it did, but it made him sound like a connoisseur in the tap room..;)

You Broomhillites (Broomhillians?) Might be interested to see this scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory showing the shops etc. in Fulwood Road..:)