Hopkinson's Delicatessen, Broomhill 1952-1989

amanda161

That is exactly where Orme's was, the manager was Ron Markin, this shop later became 'International' and closed when 'Macmarket' also became 'International'. This unit was then bought by Gerry Laitner to become Oxley's after a protracted battle with Russ Hartley who at that time ran a chain of discount shops called Fred Hartley.

In my early day's the bow fronted shop had the name 'Wagstaffe' on the fascia but was always empty. In the early sixties a lovely young lady opened it as a wool shop, I cannot remember her name but I am sure that she was related to the Redfearns who at that time owned the newsagent a few doors down. When the Fulwood Road block was due for demolition to build the new Arndale Centre Mrs. Patrick moved her wool and haberdashery shop from here into the bow fronted shop at 14 Crookes Road. After Mrs Patrick retired the shop became Paws Here.

Was Redfearns that big newsagents near Whitham Road, not far from Broomhill School? If so, it was one of my favourite shops, as it was where I used to buy all my American comics - they were the only shop I knew that sold them and I built up quite a large collection. Even after we moved away from Broomhill, I still used to shop there. I seem to think that it was then a bookshop, though I'm not sure what the premises are used for now.

Was Redfearns that big newsagents near Whitham Road, not far from Broomhill School? If so, it was one of my favourite shops, as it was where I used to buy all my American comics - they were the only shop I knew that sold them and I built up quite a large collection. Even after we moved away from Broomhill, I still used to shop there. I seem to think that it was then a bookshop, though I'm not sure what the premises are used for now.

I think that the smallest shop in Broomhill must be the tiny shop on the corner of Whitham Road and Crookes Road which has had many incarnations, in more

recent times it has been Mooch, Cobwebs, Tarrants and Broomhill Driving School. But my first recollection was as Lambert's Newsagents, which it must have been for donkey's years, it was dark just one light bulb hanging from a dusty, twisted brown cord. The ceiling and walls papered with old newspapers.when the Lambert's retired they passed the business on to the next generation, the Redfearn's. I remember going to buy 'The Star' every afternoon and once a year bought the 'Gloops' annual. Eventually the shop was sold to Mr. Franks who modernised it. Mr. Franks later sold the business to a retired footballer called Harold Brook. Mr. Brook moved the business into much larger premises seven doors down which had been vacated by Shentall's the Grocer's. I think that this is where 'earthdragon' bought the American comics.

• 9 years later...
On 23/02/2015 at 14:57, IRONMONGER said:

I think that the smallest shop in Broomhill must be the tiny shop on the corner of Whitham Road and Crookes Road which has had many incarnations, in more

recent times it has been Mooch, Cobwebs, Tarrants and Broomhill Driving School. But my first recollection was as Lambert's Newsagents, which it must have been for donkey's years, it was dark just one light bulb hanging from a dusty, twisted brown cord. The ceiling and walls papered with old newspapers.when the Lambert's retired they passed the business on to the next generation, the Redfearn's. I remember going to buy 'The Star' every afternoon and once a year bought the 'Gloops' annual. Eventually the shop was sold to Mr. Franks who modernised it. Mr. Franks later sold the business to a retired footballer called Harold Brook. Mr. Brook moved the business into much larger premises seven doors down which had been vacated by Shentall's the Grocer's. I think that this is where 'earthdragon' bought the American comics.

Harold Brook had several newsagents. The ones I remember were on Ridgeway Road and Paternoster Row, there might have been one on Bramall Lane.

On 01/04/2024 at 16:14, Jim Hardie said:

Harold Brook had several newsagents. The ones I remember were on Ridgeway Road and Paternoster Row, there might have been one on Bramall Lane.

I think Harold Brook had one up at Greenhill too.

Back in the day , newsagent was a regular occupation for retired footballers .

Tommy Hoyland ( Utd ) and Ronnie Starling ( Wednesday ) both had shops in Sheffield .

Latterly , one of the players from Chesterfields famous Cup Run side had one on Derbyshire Lane