The City Of Sheffield

Iv watched this Forum over the years finding it useful especially the history section and information about your city. Iv known Sheffield since a child and lived at Park Hill Flats for a time experienced its nightlife and found the people to be ok . I'm not really a city person by any means but Iv took to Sheffield and prefer it over Manchester anyday yes its got its bad points so does any town or city but what it lacks it makes up in different ways but how do born and bred Sheffielders see there city?

That is very simple

What is the greatest planet in the galaxy? It is Earth

What is the greatest country on earth? It is England

What is the greatest city in England? It is Sheffield

All these judgments are often made by many sheffielders without proper examination of other great places to come to these conclusions.

They simply accept these statements as true without accepting that there are many other great places out there they may not even know about.

Their love for their city is blind, it is more some sort of automatic robotic attachment, it is lacking the freedom to accept other great places and expand.

Edited by dutch

That is very simple

All these judgments are often made by many sheffielders without proper examination of other great places to come to these conclusions.

They simply accept these statements as true without accepting that there are many other great places out there they may not even know about.

Their love for their city is blind, it is more some sort of automatic robotic attachment, it is lacking the freedom to accept other great places and expand.

That's the same as most people would say of their own city/town. Do you like Sheffield? If not why bother posting here and if you do why try and knock it?

That is very simple

All that being said......

The question was How do Sheffielders see THEIR city

I see Sheffield as a fantastic diverse well placed city with a decent infrastructure, good schools and amenities and on the edge of one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

I've spoken to people from down the west country who think living in Sheffield must be terrible - I think they still imagine it as an industrial town with smog and terraced housing with outside toilets. Then you look at the many people that have arrived here in later life (pupils at Uni, sportsmen / women playing for local teams, workers on placement) and how many of them end up staying when their tenure ends.

We don't always get mentioned in the press (not as much as L33ds, Manchester) as northern cities go - but I don't get hung up by that.

I'll always 'big up' Sheffield as a fantastic place to live - and I'll never consider living anywhere else.

I am Sheffield born and bred but spent a decent part of my life living and travelling around - particularly in Leeds and the North East. I have to be honest - I hated Leeds. Far too claustrophobic and insular for my liking, though the city centre makes a great place to visit on a night out - even more so these days. Some of the ouylying areas are OK but they tend to be very expensive. Birmingham is quite similar.

Newcastle is pretty much the opposite. Some lovely outlying areas, including a couple of decent coastal resorts but I always found the city centre a no-go area at the weekends and so made most of my visits during the week. Similar experience in Liverpool. Manchester falls somewhere in between with some great places to live and have a night out outside the centre (such as Chorlton) but also a decent city centre to go at. And that would be my location of choice had I not been a Yorkshireman at heart. It's almost like a mini-London.

As for London - the nature of my job means I'm always being pushed to move there. But it's not something I want. I visit plenty and that's enough for me!

And that brings me onto Sheffield. For me it's the big city that doesn't feel like one. Much of it is in the hills and in the country. A lot of the nightlife and shopping is outside the centre. Indeed if you didn't know Sheffield very well you'd almost get off the train or the bus in town and wonder where it was! Not like the other major cities where two minutes walk out of the station and you're in a crowded high street.

This is both a blessing and a curse. Means you can have some great days and nights out in the various little clutches of bars and attractions in and around town if you know where they are. But does mean we don't get a vast influx of visitors every weekend like other similar sized places. That and the poor transport links. This puts it well behind others in terms of attraction to people who don't know it.

On the whole I think it means if you know the city you can pretty much find anything you want here. And as a result it will always be my favourite city. It's also going through a decent speight of growth at the moment which might help it catch up a little with some of our neighbours. But it does need a lot more - especially in the centre - if we want to raise people's perceptions about the place anyway.

The emphasised "THEIR" is troubling. I've lived here for over a quarter of a century. Am I an alien outsider who has no right to comment?

Neah, she was commenting on the OPs misspelling of their (there).

As a relatively newcomer to Sheffield I can mostly echo DnAuk's points, I'd like to add that many Sheffielders don't quite realise what they have here.

It isn't perfect, but no city is.

Sheffield has a great mix of affordable housing, nice places to visit, decent transport links (I always hear people moan about the traffic, it just makes me smile - we have 1,5 hours of rush-hour with half an hour in each being pretty bad, but traffic is nowhere near as bad as in most cities of a comparable size), good people who are still courteous to one another, practically any shop you might want, plenty of nature, great theatres, excellent universities that help bring in new folk all the time...

There are definitely things that could be better, but I don't think there is a city in the world that does not have the same issue.

Comment all you want.

My point was that the OP was talking about Sheffield.

Thank you:)

Dutch was talking about Sheffield. I was troubled because often on this forum if those not born and bred here dare to make an adverse comment about the city responses along the lines of "You don't have to stay in Sheffield" are made.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 11:19 ----------

Neah, she was commenting on the OPs misspelling of their (there).

As a relatively newcomer to Sheffield I can mostly echo DnAuk's points, I'd like to add that many Sheffielders don't quite realise what they have here.

It isn't perfect, but no city is.

Sheffield has a great mix of affordable housing, nice places to visit, decent transport links (I always hear people moan about the traffic, it just makes me smile - we have 1,5 hours of rush-hour with half an hour in each being pretty bad, but traffic is nowhere near as bad as in most cities of a comparable size), good people who are still courteous to one another, practically any shop you might want, plenty of nature, great theatres, excellent universities that help bring in new folk all the time...

There are definitely things that could be better, but I don't think there is a city in the world that does not have the same issue.

Seconded. .