Cycle Lane - The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield

Just need some info

Been a cyclist for many years but unsure of this practice or if it is legal.

I was travelling in a friends vehicle last week from The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield on the carriageway going down.

I noticed a single white flashing light in the distance and past a cyclist pedaling up the carriageway on the marked cycle path towards on-coming traffic?

is this legal? and who has right of way from the cyclist coming in the correct direction?

Could they have used the cycle path on the other side past Lowedges??

Thanks

Cyclists who use dual carriageways even in the correct direction must have a death wish as far as I see it. Most major roads in cities are far too dangerous to use a cycle. If there are off road cycle tracks these are fine, but the speed and volume of traffic on today's roads make it a ridiculous proposition to use a bicycle. The local Council's obsession with cycle use is one I think they will ultimately regret.

Cyclists who use dual carriageways even in the correct direction must have a death wish as far as I see it. Most major roads in cities are far too dangerous to use a cycle. If there are off road cycle tracks these are fine, but the speed and volume of traffic on today's roads make it a ridiculous proposition to use a bicycle. The local Council's obsession with cycle use is one I think they will ultimately regret.

Most other councils manage to improve the cycling infrastructure safely, what's the issue with our council doing it? Also, what's making cycling unsafe, in your opinion, is other road users not driving to the highway code.

Just overtake the cyclist as you would overtaking any car , it's not rocket science. Plenty of room on a dual carriageway.

Also, what's making cycling unsafe, in your opinion, is other road users not driving to the highway code.

Not really. It's a requirement to be tested on the highway code as a driver of a motor vehicle. Cyclists have to pass no test what-so-ever. I generally don't have any issues with cyclists as a driver, it's as a pedestrian where I've had cyclists almost knock me over because some of them seem to think the traffic lights don't apply to them, or mount the pavement to get passed the traffic lights and then go back onto the road.