Cycle Lane - The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield

Ok, right. So the answer is to ride your cycle with all the attention of a 5 year old. I didnt realise that was the rules. I just thought the majority of cyclists had a death wish. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up:)

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

So that's the reason they don't know the Highway Code, they can't read.

When you take into account that most cyclists also drive, it's a bit of a mute point isn't it?

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:54 ----------

would you send your 5 year old on the Parkway?

You do know that there are more options than not don't riding a bike or ride it on the parkway? Or did you mean to type park?

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:55 ----------

Ok, right. So the answer is to ride your cycle with all the attention of a 5 year old. I didnt realise that was the rules. I just thought the majority of cyclists had a death wish. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up:)

Wow, run me through the mindset that led you to this conclusion. I'm genuinely fascinated how you got there!

When you take into account that most cyclists also drive, it's a bit of a mute point isn't it?

Do 5 year olds have driving licences now? I really must swot up on the rules of driving.

You are contradicting yourself with each and evey post!! :hihi::hihi:

Keep going, as there is five of us here. Watching, just waiting for your next gaff!!!!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just need some info

Been a cyclist for many years but unsure of this practice or if it is legal.

I was travelling in a friends vehicle last week from The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield on the carriageway going down.

I noticed a single white flashing light in the distance and past a cyclist pedaling up the carriageway on the marked cycle path towards on-coming traffic?

is this legal? and who has right of way from the cyclist coming in the correct direction?

Could they have used the cycle path on the other side past Lowedges??

Thanks

Was the cyclist on a cycle LANE (on the road, marked with paint) or on a cycle PATH (segregated from motorised traffic)?

Haven't been up past Meadowhead for some time, don't recall an on-road cycle lane but thn again, it could have changed since I last passed that way either by car or bike

Maybe because one is complicated machine that requires an element of skill to control, it's housed inside a metal box that weighs over a ton. And one is a simple contraption that children aged from 5 years old and up can control.

Could this give it away?:hihi::hihi:

Keep going soft lad!!:hihi::hihi:

Do 5 year olds have driving licences now? I really must swot up on the rules of driving.

You are contradicting yourself with each and evey post!! :hihi::hihi:

Keep going, as there is five of us here. Watching, just waiting for your next gaff!!!!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You need to sort out you reading skills or comprehension! Did I say only 5 year olds cycled? I think the phrase I used was children aged from 5 years old and up can control.

But, of course you know this, and you're only spoiling for an argument.

You need to sort out you reading skills or comprehension! Did I say only 5 year olds cycled? I think the phrase I used was children aged from 5 years old and up can control.

But, of course you know this, and you're only spoiling for an argument.

Not really JFK. But I am trying to prove a point that a huge number of cyclists do not have a driving licence, which unfolds into those riders not having a trained understanding of the highway code. I accept the last few posts were a little flippant, but to say that most cyclists are car drivers is ludicrous. Two of my roomies are cyclists, but not drivers. A lot of the students here are cyclists, but not drivers. We have done some papers on this very subject and it was clear that the majority of students who cycle do not have a driving licence.

Thats all!!:hihi:

Not really JFK. But I am trying to prove a point that a huge number of cyclists do not have a driving licence, which unfolds into those riders not having a trained understanding of the highway code. I accept the last few posts were a little flippant, but to say that most cyclists are car drivers is ludicrous. Two of my roomies are cyclists, but not drivers. A lot of the students here are cyclists, but not drivers. We have done some papers on this very subject and it was clear that the majority of students who cycle do not have a driving licence.

It looks like your assumption needs "a little updating". According to the Department of Transport, 80% of cyclists hold a driving licence, and 1 in 5 drivers cycle at least once a month.

A majority of cyclists are drivers.

80% is most definitely a majority, it's on it's way to "most" but that's a subjective term.

4/5 are drivers. On the morning commute to work it's probably even higher than that.

Amongst younger people, the number will drop. Survey 16 year olds and it will be none. Survey 18 year olds and it's somewhere between none and 80%. (A survey of your room mates is anecdote, not data).

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 09:42 ----------

Or Perhaps if they used a bit of common sense and didn't ride towards oncoming traffic they'd be perfectly safe. If a car reverses towards oncoming traffic on their test they would fail, why should cyclists be exempt from this rule. Cyclists don't seem to want to accept responsibility for their own actions but seem to think car drivers should make allowance for this and think for them

I'll ask you again if you read the comment by Buble Fan?

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 09:43 ----------

I think a lot of cyclists take their lives with a pinch of salt when on the road. Before you use the roads in a car, you must have a test. Why is it different for cycling?

Because a bike is not a dangerous vehicle likely to injure multiple other people...

Because you have to learn to ride it on the road in the first place.

Because children ride them.

Because licensing their use and somehow enforcing that would be massively expensive for little gain.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 09:45 ----------

Thanks for your answers but there is still a question of,who has right of way?.I have ridden many times in that cycle path going towards Bowshaw and if i happen to see a cyclist riding up i would hope they would get onto the grass verge to let me pass.if not, i'm hoping that any vehicle including a large truck would not be travelling at the speed limit of 40mph and give me enough room to pass.It would be simple to paint arrows showing the direction of where the cyclist should go??:loopy:

If they're riding contrary to the direction of the lane, then the cyclist going the correct way would have the right of way.

Just like if a car were driving the wrong way up a road. :huh:

I don't understand why arrows might be required at all. This is a cycle lane on the road right?

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 09:48 ----------

I've just tried to find this cycle lane on google maps, I can't find it.

i think the point people are trying to make is if a car driver was seen to be driving the wrong way up a road then they would get stopped and issued a fine at the very least and maybe points on their license or even face it being revoked! what would the cyclist get???