Cycle Lane - The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield

Not really JFK. But I am trying to prove a point that a huge number of cyclists do not have a driving licence, which unfolds into those riders not having a trained understanding of the highway code. I accept the last few posts were a little flippant, but to say that most cyclists are car drivers is ludicrous. Two of my roomies are cyclists, but not drivers. A lot of the students here are cyclists, but not drivers. We have done some papers on this very subject and it was clear that the majority of students who cycle do not have a driving licence.

Thats all!!:hihi:

Students are not representative of the general population though.Many students won't be able to afford a car, and cycling is quicker and cheaper than public transport. I didn't learn to drive until after I left university.

Most cyclists are drivers, and probably know the highway code better than some drivers, judging from my experiences. For example, some drivers don't seem to be aware of the purpose of solid white lines, and that it is perfectly legal (and safer in some situations) for a cyclist to ride in the middle of the road (primary) or to filter on either side of traffic.

There are, of course, some idiots, like the cyclist described, if indeed he/she was riding the wrong way down the road.

For example, some drivers don't seem to be aware of the purpose of solid white lines, and that it is perfectly legal (and safer in some situations) for a cyclist to ride in the middle of the road

Could you explain this bit a little more please, I don't get what you are trying to say.

Could you explain this bit a little more please, I don't get what you are trying to say.

Apologies, I should have specified I meant solid central white lines. Some drivers appear ignorant/unaware of the highway code on this matter:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Personally, as a cyclist, I would rather be given more room than a driver try to squeeze past without crossing the solid central line, but they are there for a reason e.g. blind corners.

Sometimes it is safer for a cyclist to take the middle of the lane, in order to increase visibility, pass parked vehicles or prevent themselves being overtaken when there is not enough space for drivers to safely do so. I've been beeped at and tailgated on occasions by drivers for taking primary at traffic islands; it isn't done to annoy drivers, it is a safety precaution.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 12:16 ----------

I believe that drivers should experience cycling on the roads (if they are physically able), then they would hopefully understand why some cyclists ride defensively.

Sometimes it is safer for a cyclist to take the middle of the lane, in order to increase visibility, pass parked vehicles or prevent themselves being overtaken when there is not enough space for drivers to safely do so. I've been beeped at and tailgated on occasions by drivers for taking primary at traffic islands; it isn't done to annoy drivers, it is a safety precaution.

It's worth pointing out for Bodie, and others who may not be aware of it, that cycling in the middle of the lane isn't something that some cyclists have just decided. The government's cycle training scheme, called Bikeability, instructs them to do this.

I believe that drivers should experience cycling on the roads (if they are physically able), then they would hopefully understand why some cyclists ride defensively.

At the very minimum, the theory test should include things covered on the Bikeability course, particularly the counter-intuitive things like lane positioning, that drivers would otherwise be unaware of.

When you take into account that most cyclists also drive, it's a bit of a mute point isn't it?

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 21:54 ----------

Most cyclists don't drive and the ones that do should certainly have more comprehension of the rules of the road than the average 5 year old who should not be allowed on any road without the supervision of an adult so comparing them doesn't really make sense in the grown up world. BTW I think you meant moot point

Edited by denlin

Apologies, I should have specified I meant solid central white lines. Some drivers appear ignorant/unaware of the highway code on this matter:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Personally, as a cyclist, I would rather be given more room than a driver try to squeeze past without crossing the solid central line, but they are there for a reason e.g. blind corners.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 12:16 ----------

I would say aggressively, Especially in the cities on crowded roads. in some cases there is no other option. if you dont stand your ground then they LITERALLY RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD.

why some cyclists ride defensively.

I would say aggressively

I think assertively is a better word to describe it.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 14:50 ----------

Most cyclists don't drive

You can claim that all you like but the number of cyclists with driving licences is against you.

I would say aggressively, Especially in the cities on crowded roads. in some cases there is no other option. if you dont stand your ground then they LITERALLY RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD.

Monkeys entered the discussion so be prepared for it to turn in to a justification for jumping red light lights and ignoring the highway code. We don't encourage aggressive motoring so why use that terminology for cycling? It's better to describe it as riding confidently. ..without seeking to cause conflict with other road users.