Cycle Lane - The Norton Pub towards Chesterfield

They answered to the best of their ability I think.

Q. What % of cyclists have a driving license?

A. 80% of cyclists live in a household with access to a car.

It's not an exact answer, it's possible that in a partnership, the "access to a car" could mean that the partner can drive only. That's unlikely though.

In the UK, I'd hazard a guess that most adults can drive. And since we're specifically talking about adult use of cycles, it follows that most cyclists can drive. Which matches up with the simplest interpretation of the answer given above. Household with access to a car, implying that the cyclist can drive.

---------- Post added 25-01-2015 at 19:10 ----------

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/20563/response/54931/attach/3/London%20and%20rest%20of%20GB%20driving%20licence%20stats%201.pdf

36.5 million licensed car drivers in the UK.

49.5 million adults (approx)

73% of adults in the UK can drive.

Chances are that 73% of cyclists can drive then, since they are adults in the UK.

The chances of every single cyclist in the being able to drive a car is non-existent but the ones who have access to a car will certainly be a lot higher number than those with full driving licences and the answer to the question asked in Parliament bore no resemblance to the question that was asked

This is what was reported in Hansard - nor does it give the ages of the cyclists

Ian Austin: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what his estimate is of the proportion of cyclists that own cars. [53988]

Norman Baker: Some 83% of the cyclists participating in the National Travel Survey in 2008 and 2009 were resident in a household with access to a car or van.

The equivalent overall figure for all survey respondents in Great Britain was 82%.

Edited by denlin

Yes, thanks for repeating that.

I'd say that the best evidence we have is that about 73% of adults can drive, and that this number is likely true or higher of commuting cyclists.

But that the 73% of commuting cyclists who can drive is a far lower number than 73% of drivers who don't cycle

I am sure the % of stupid drivers matches the % of stupid cyclists... for a given large sample. I cycle to work almost everyday, as it is faster, cheaper and better for me, yet I also pay Excise Duty on 2 cars. On my daily commute I see all sorts of stupid behavior from both types of road users, and occasionally from stupid pedestrians.

The idiot guy cycling the wrong way up the dual carriageway will surely only do it a few times, before some poor unsuspecting driver hits him full on.

Richard

Not really. It's a requirement to be tested on the highway code as a driver of a motor vehicle. Cyclists have to pass no test what-so-ever. I generally don't have any issues with cyclists as a driver, it's as a pedestrian where I've had cyclists almost knock me over because some of them seem to think the traffic lights don't apply to them, or mount the pavement to get passed the traffic lights and then go back onto the road.

funny that i only ever have problems with cars and they have all passed a test and study the highway code every night

Thats true. The lad on the bike we followed down from uni to Morrisons on friday had the IQ of a 5 year old. And he had a beard too.

The big question is does his IQ get higher when he gets behind the wheel of a car? :)

I've decided to stick my head cam on the bike this week. Perhaps I'll capture one of the red light runners to show onewheeldave, or some idiot car driver who nearly kills me.

I've only cycled twice so far, and the worst I've had was a pedestrian walk out from between stationary cars, and several cars overtake me too close (not the closest ever, I've had closer).

The one cyclist I've seen run a light was on West Street as I waited for the tram at city hall stop, no safety excuse, just didn't want to stop and lose momentum, as usual.

Haven't seen another cyclist on the way in, I suspect the wet weather has put them off this morning. No character, that's the problem.