Best camera for £500

banjodeano

bought my camera from this forum used and its been great and now im a big fan of PENTAX and have since bought many lenses and other kit ..

you can get many a great photo from the kit 18-55mm but if you ever fancy wildlife or birds realy look for a min of a 300mm zoom lens kit ..

my flicker as you can see I also love walking and a good landscape

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheffieldcity/

would totaly agree with many above get to a camera shop and test some out not only for looks feel but also to try out the settings menus and functions ..

I used a Nikon once and hated it ..calm down not saying they are good or bad but it just felt not right for me .

Thanks for all the help and info guys, i am not really wanting to get a compact, i want to get something that gives me the chance to experiment, i had a Pentax me back in the days of film, and would love to get back in to the camera again, i go out walking a lot and would have loads of opportunities to get some great scenic shots, although i am not that keen on shooting wildlife, so a zoom would not be a priority, but i like the look of distortion that you can get with a wide angle lens, so perhaps a standard lens and 18-55.? i would also be wary about buying second hand.? i will have to go and have a feel of them in the shops, but i think the Nikon d5300 has caught my eye

Edit.....wow stunning pics doom bringer

Thanks for all the help and info guys, i am not really wanting to get a compact, i want to get something that gives me the chance to experiment, i had a Pentax me back in the days of film, and would love to get back in to the camera again, i go out walking a lot and would have loads of opportunities to get some great scenic shots, although i am not that keen on shooting wildlife, so a zoom would not be a priority, but i like the look of distortion that you can get with a wide angle lens, so perhaps a standard lens and 18-55.? i would also be wary about buying second hand.? i will have to go and have a feel of them in the shops, but i think the Nikon d5300 has caught my eye

sure you will find something to your likeing around that price range .. and soon get to grips with any settings.. even starting out with af and full auto mode settings you can capture som great images and memmories ..

if you have facebook join and check out this group many walkers and landscape photography lovers .. we also have meet ups with like minded folk to do a walk and take some photos .. very down to earth people and not photography snobs :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/naturewatchuk/

sure you will find something to your likeing around that price range .. and soon get to grips with any settings.. even starting out with af and full auto mode settings you can capture som great images and memmories ..

if you have facebook join and check out this group many walkers and landscape photography lovers .. we also have meet ups with like minded folk to do a walk and take some photos .. very down to earth people and not photography snobs :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/naturewatchuk/

thanks...i am on FB and will join,

Don't make the mistake of overlooking the Fuji as "just a compact" it's a remarkably capable camera,one of the greatest cameras of all time to be honest.

I personally wouldn't have a 5300 or any other mid-range Canikon,

you might "feel" like a photographer using a DSLR but the truth is the x100 with its X-trans sensor and gorgeous Fujinon glass is a truly excellent tool,

Also, with pretty much every DSLR type camera you'll have to take a bag every time you go out, the Fuji will fit in your pocket,so you'll use it more and get better shots long term,

Lastly as you say you come from a film background, the Fuji has all the filters for its classic film "looks", I personally only shoot with my own settings but the Velvia and Monochrome filters are very nice,

(edit) My personal very favourite thing about the x100 is that with it's leaf shutter it has the option to be completely silent, I love this about it,it is incredibly useful for street work,

The viewfinder is work of art, you have to use it to fully appreciate what a little marvel it is,

The only real downside is the manual focusing could be a little faster,

Hobby,

Mullins

Arias

If you absolutely have to "feel" like a photographer, I'd highly recommend this, My nephew and my mate both bought them on my recommendation, and both are really happy with them, it's a great budget camera,

Don't bother with the kit lenses though as they are utterly hopeless.

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Nikon-D3300-Black-DSLR-Camera-Body_VBA390AE.htm

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Nikon-35mm-f18G-AF-S-DX-Lens_JAA132DA.htm

The Fuji X100 is in another league though.

Edited by sarang

I would visit a camera shop such as Harrison's on London Road and explain what I was going to use the camera for.

Bridge cameras and the better compact cameras are very versatile and may satisfy your needs plus being cheaper than an SLR and extra lens. They would also be more compact and lighter.

Then when you have found one go to Jessops and buy it as they are better on price.