£2.9bn child maintenance "uncollectable".

Billions of pounds owed in child maintenance may never be recovered, government accounts show.

The money is owed by absent parents who have been referred to the Child Support Agency.

Accounts prepared for Parliament by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) class £2.9bn of the £3.9bn in maintenance arrears as "uncollectable".

Single parent charity Gingerbread has called on the government to do more about collecting unpaid maintenance.

So they should. My partner has never received a penny in payments from her daughters dad in the 11 years she's been on the planet. He works (self-employed) and likes to see her on a regular basis. His excuse is her mother earns far more than him, so he shouldn't have to pay a penny.

Sounds fair. He should sue the mum for maintenance too while he's at it

He also has a child to another person, who has never seen a penny from him.

Maintenance for what Joker? All his daughter gets off him is xmas and birthday gifts. No spending money, or money towards her school clothes etc.

And his half of his daughters expenses, food, toiletries, school trips, rent, utilities etc as well I bet.

My sons father thought that he was doing us a favour spending money on fun stuff.

He really hated the thought of handing money to me incase I spent it on myself, his version of myself which was the phone bill and house insurance :rolleyes:

As soon as I could find childcare I was straight back to work.

Told him to just pay what he felt he should.

That turned out to be £0

And his half of his daughters expenses, food, toiletries, school trips, rent, utilities etc as well I bet.

My sons father thought that he was doing us a favour spending money on fun stuff.

He really hated the thought of handing money to me incase I spent it on myself, his version of myself which was the phone bill and house insurance :rolleyes:

As soon as I could find childcare I was straight back to work.

Told him to just pay what he felt he should.

That turned out to be £0

Too right. After school fees are a fortune! And you have to pay thoughout the summer holidays too. She's at that age now (Diva-dom:D) where things get rather expensive.

£2.9 billion in uncollectable child maintenance is more than twice as much that is lost to benefit fraud each year, yet benefit fraud is constantly pushed to the top of the headlines, and they even make lots of television programmes about it.

Perhaps it's because we're encouraged to hate benefit fraudsters more than we're encouraged to hate people who don't pay for the upkeep of their children. :suspect: