The unemployed are punished with hunger - unemployment the worst crime

The propaganda works.

People watch the tripe the TV pushes down our throats and lap it up.

I grew up during the miners strikes and class opinion then was split with the lack of sympathy for striking miners from wealthier people.

Then others would rally round and help out, realising it could be them next.

Now it's easier to stick the boot in.

The propaganda works.

I grew up during the miners strikes and class opinion then was split with the lack of sympathy for striking miners from wealthier people.

It only works if people want it to work and that says something about UK society at present. It's ok people advocating pushing others around until it's their turn to be pushed around ... and it will

What always surprises me is the different attitudes to poverty here in the UK to that in other countries.

We show sympathy when we see hunger and poverty in other countries - we don't berate them to 'get a job' and to 'pull their socks up' or blame them for the situation they're in. We blame their governments and we often give generously to help them.

Here, all (except the last,) of the above apply. Anyone who doesn't think we are not now becoming a third world country in all but name need to get out more and see how other countries are coming up in the world as ours goes down. The definition of a third world country, by the way, is the size of the disparity between rich and poor.

With short term contracts, 0 hours, etc, working (and working very hard) is no longer a way out of debt and poverty.

Yep, theres going to be a revolution in this country. Further riots and an otherthrow of powers that be. The super rich know it. The government knows it. Its coming because people will wake up and realise they are being lied to. The cathartic and divisive effect of mass media consumption will only work for so long.

The propaganda works.

Not really.

I refuse to watch these programmes as some of us have the ability to realise that it is the extreme part of any society that is being filmed.

If it was a documentary on Malcolm who is unemployed, lives with his mum, attends job interviews now and again, has no extremist views and gets on with his neighbours, well that would hardly be watcheable to for the ignorant masses would it now?

Not really.

I refuse to watch these programmes as some of us have the ability to realise that it is the extreme part of any society that is being filmed.

If it was a documentary on Malcolm who is unemployed, lives with his mum, attends job interviews now and again, has no extremist views and gets on with his neighbours, well that would hardly be watcheable to for the ignorant masses would it now?

Unfortunately there are some who watch these programmes & think that those taking part in the programmes are representative of the unemployed in general.

Unfortunately there are some who watch these programmes & think that those taking part in the programmes are representative of the unemployed in general.

You only have to pop over to the entertainment section to see how much these programmes are believed.

I wonder if the super rich programmes generate as much vitriol. :suspect: