Apocalyptic Happenings

Set up a survival fortress in a militia storage facility. There would be plenty of armaments, millions of rounds of all types of ammo, food, water, diesel, gasoline medical supplies. I received some training in handling a tank and gunnery. Could train other survivors.

There would be zombie hunting expeditions plenty of lurching bodies to blast into pulp or crush under the treads. I think I could almost enjoy it even :D

Edited by Harleyman

15 years ago I would have survived, then I got married and grew fat, content and reliant on alcohol at least two days a week and cigarettes most of the time. Unless the zombies would be distilling and producin ciggies for me I would be dead quite soon.

I do have a few redeeming features though: I am quite good at looking after livestock, know how crops grow and what to do to get most out of them and I can cook an incredible meal out of anything, so I might last a bit longer than Joe Bloggs.

Love the mention of Barnsley and not noticing the difference!! :hihi:

Talking of dogs got me thinking of the film 'I am Legend' with Will Smith, his dog was very loyal and helpful but a little daft. I don't generally like films with Will Smith in but this was brilliant and caught me by surprise.

My Springer would be even more useless though in this kind of environment, every zombie he saw would get a waggy tail asking for a walk!

The eternal question is can zombies swim? Or walk along the seabed?
I think swimming would be more of higher function that they'd probably be incapable of. Walking along the seabed should be possible but they'd be susceptible to currents.

If there were enough though (like a horde) no doubt a fair few would make it through.

I'd just find a nice scottish island to live on. Move foods out there, shoot any resident zombies, job done.

Your problem there might be the living who also have the same idea!

If I was single I'd most likely do just fine. As it is I have a family so I'd most likely come a cropper at some point trying to keep everyone safe.

Edited by RootsBooster

I think swimming would be more of higher function that they'd probably be incapable of. Walking along the seabed should be possible but they'd be susceptible to currents.

If there were enough though (like a horde) no doubt a fair few would make it through.

According to the reference publication in the matter (:D), they do walk on the seabed (eventually-) as hordes indeed.

If I was single I'd most likely do just fine. As it is I have a family so I'd most likely come a cropper at some point trying to keep everyone safe.
Quoted for truth :(

The safest environment would be a nuclear sub stocked to the gills. Or, if you're kitted out properly, then north of the arctic circle (Zeds freeze, y'see). So in the UK, if you live near Faslane, you might have a chance.

Short of that, there's bound to be a problem at some point or other.

Boats can sink, capsize, run into other boats peopled with the infected, etc.

Tanks are landlocked (even submersible ones) and eventually run out of fuel, when they don't throw a track. Read about the 'Battle of Yonkers' in the above-linked reference, as regards the effectiveness of conventional high-explosive ordnance on Zeds. Might be OK against a few isolated ones, useless against a horde. 'Shock and Awe' doesn't work on Zeds, they're not self-aware.

Prisons, castles, etc. would just get squillions and squillions of Zeds aggregating and milling around the periphery and you couldn't ever get out until you've killed them all (so better pray there's a water source and better not forget cattle, plants, seeds, <etc.> before you lock yourself in). Etc.

Highly recommended novel by the way, easy and entertaining read (if that's your thing of course) and a meeellion times better than that poor excuse of a movie adaptation by Pitt.

Edited by L00b

Yes I'd survive, I have a snatch kit ready, so can split if the need be.

I trained early in my life to live off the land, so food should not be a problem, I keep myself quite fit.

I have a Toyota Hilux stashed away, I've put a cage on the back and it's covered with the original canopy, Bit cramped but do able. Am considering a V8 Diesel Conversion for it, to make it Multi fuel, need to do more research on this.

I have no family or pets to worry about, so I suppose the main enemy would be other Humans And Sleep deprivation.

Ah but now we know where you are going ,we can all follow you.And eat all your food.

You have to get past my sharks with frikking laser beams first...:-)

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 16:53 ----------

I've got a small army of Scouts though, so I could start a very small empire up. Equip them with the rifles out the armoury at home and some exploding lead azide bullets and we could stay safe....mwuhahahah

According to the reference publication in the matter (:D), they do walk on the seabed (eventually-) as hordes indeed.

Quoted for truth :(

The safest environment would be a nuclear sub stocked to the gills. Or, if you're kitted out properly, then north of the arctic circle (Zeds freeze, y'see). So in the UK, if you live near Faslane, you might have a chance.

Short of that, there's bound to be a problem at some point or other.

Boats can sink, capsize, run into other boats peopled with the infected, etc.

Tanks are landlocked (even submersible ones) and eventually run out of fuel, when they don't throw a track. Read about the 'Battle of Yonkers' in the above-linked reference, as regards the effectiveness of conventional high-explosive ordnance on Zeds. Might be OK against a few isolated ones, useless against a horde. 'Shock and Awe' doesn't work on Zeds, they're not self-aware.

Prisons, castles, etc. would just get squillions and squillions of Zeds aggregating and milling around the periphery and you couldn't ever get out until you've killed them all (so better pray there's a water source and better not forget cattle, plants, seeds, <etc.> before you lock yourself in). Etc.

Highly recommended novel by the way, easy and entertaining read (if that's your thing of course) and a meeellion times better than that poor excuse of a movie adaptation by Pitt.

Fully agree, I read it when it first came out (excellent, in my opinion) but before I read his previous book (the survival guide). Reading them in the wrong order left me a little disappointed as the 'guide' isn't a novel itself.

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 17:09 ----------

You have to get past my sharks with frikking laser beams first...:-)

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 16:53 ----------

I've got a small army of Scouts though, so I could start a very small empire up. Equip them with the rifles out the armoury at home and some exploding lead azide bullets and we could stay safe....mwuhahahah

NO!!! Guns are only a short-term solution....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7813252&postcount=67

Edited by RootsBooster