Who are the most famous Sheffielders of all time..

grinder

I realise the first three are bands, rather than individuals, but for the purposes of the poll I'll give them one vote each.

The Human League

Pulp

Cabaret Voltiaire

Harry Brearley, he invented stainless steel

No one else.

I realise the first three are bands, rather than individuals, but for the purposes of the poll I'll give them one vote each.

The Human League

Pulp

Cabaret Voltiaire

No one else.

The biggest World wide stage star to come out of Sheffield is Joe Cocker.

Charlie Peace

ime surprised nobody else has put this feller, he is world famous, i forgot to put im,in front, from Sheffield

i think i must have had a bit to much wine when i posted the above:( but, like cookingfat50 says he is a famous murderer from Sheffield.

Edited by kidley

The Human League

Pulp

Cabaret Voltiaire

No one else.

Out of the above list the one who will go from strength to strength is Jarvis Cocker, forging ahead with radio and tv appearances, and a good ambassador for Sheffield.

Donald Pleasance however was born in Worksop and a consiencious objector in WW2 _ hardly qualifies him as being one of the cities finest

Edited by Odd-jobs

Out of the above list the one who will go from strength to strength is Jarvis Cocker, forging ahead with radio and tv appearances, and a good ambassador for Sheffield.

Donald Pleasance however was born in Worksop and a consiencious objector in WW2 _ hardly qualifies him as being one of the cities finest

To be fair to the guy he had a change of mind and served in bomber command, was shot down and served the rest of the war as a pow. (Wikopedea)

More than five, I know, but, in order of world fame:-

Sean Bean (not only a great actor but also a loyal fan of Sheffield United)

Joe Cocker (who did a memorable performance at Woodstock)

Jarvis Cocker

Michael Palin (the best thing to come out of Monty Python)

David Blunkett

Richard Hawley

Charlie Peace (infamous but possibly little known outside the UK)

There have been some notable people put forward by other reviewers but, to be honest, worthy as those people were, has anyone else actually ever heard of them? True celebrities tend to be either in showbusiness, politicians or criminals.

Well said Sir.

I thought you were very good in Shane

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 22:33 ----------

Well we all know that it's the so called "little people" who are the real heroes, the Unknown Soldier, instead of Public School, semi-Royalty like Churchill, the coal miner not the Minister of Industry, the school lollipop lady who stands out in all weathers to keep children safe, not some pampered silly Pop singer shoving cocaine up his nose. It's ordinary people who are heroes but that's not really answering this question is it, who are Sheffield's "

five most famous" ?

You are so profound you pompous pillock