Waitrose - Free Tea and Coffee - New Rules

I was in there the other day and there was a queue of about 6 or 7 for the free coffee. Could you be ar.ed?

Why not?

The yummie mummy and Chelsea Tractor brigade will probably stand in queues double that length to pay for goods at Tarbucks, CostaLot Coffee and Café Neos.

As a Dutchman I don't understand why not all supermarkets have a free coffee-machine for customers. The Albert Heijn where we used to shop started off with a machine at the end of one aisle, but because men like me got parked there by our overlords, who must be obeyed, the manager decided to make a bit of a seating area with 4 stools.

Every Saturday morning we (Those that only get in the way, rush the overlord around, put stuff in the trolley that the overlord does not approve of) would be there, chatting away about the football, the price of milk, the special offers that week...

The manager usually spent quite some time on Saturday mornings chatting with us, getting an idea for what we thought of the store, what we would do different and so on.

One day he put a sign up saying: Focus Group corner.

Quite a smart man that!

We call in there several times a week for some particular Waitrose items,and yes it's nice to have a free cup of whatever and a read of the papers.The change won't make any difference as we do usually have some sort of snack at the same time.

It must cost them a few quid ,but obviously it does bring in shoppers.

However we also use Tesco and Morrisons,and sometimes M & S.

Each shop has certain items that we like.and it would get boring sticking with one.

As a Dutchman I don't understand why not all supermarkets have a free coffee-machine for customers. The Albert Heijn where we used to shop started off with a machine at the end of one aisle, but because men like me got parked there by our overlords, who must be obeyed, the manager decided to make a bit of a seating area with 4 stools.

Every Saturday morning we (Those that only get in the way, rush the overlord around, put stuff in the trolley that the overlord does not approve of) would be there, chatting away about the football, the price of milk, the special offers that week...

The manager usually spent quite some time on Saturday mornings chatting with us, getting an idea for what we thought of the store, what we would do different and so on.

One day he put a sign up saying: Focus Group corner.

Quite a smart man that!

The problem with that, here, is that a manager wouldn't be able to act unilaterally on customer suggestions....Although, I do think it's a great idea, having a focus group in the supermarkets....

so the only change is that they ask you to purchase something to go with your free cuppa if you wish to drink it in the cafe. Seems reasonable to me

Yes. I enjoy shopping at Waitrose, so far as shopping can ever be enjoyable.

Shame that freeloaders take advantage of what was intended for customers.