35K for a car, what do you buy?

Just a bit of fun, I like staying up to date with the car-market and whilst procrastinating (Thesis correction is so bloody boring) just set myself the task of finding a car for 35K, new or used, that I would be over the moon with.

Obviously I don't have 35K for a car at the moment (thesis being responsible for that!) but we can but dream.

I know there are quite a number of petrol-heads on here and I am curious to find what people would choose - I think it says a lot about character as well maybe?

Remember, this is for fun! (But could be informative)

I haven't quite made my mind up but I limit myself on being able to afford the running costs. I am sorely tempted by a second hand Porsche Panamera, but I suspect maintenance will make me cry, not to mention the insurance and fuel costs.

For me the choice is between two:

A new Volvo XC60 D4 SE Geartronic, not a lot of spare cash for gadgets, but then I just want heated front-seats and blue metallic paint so it just about fits in the budget. The engine is awesome (Drove it a few times, big smiles) and although I am not keen on SUVs in general, this car is just good looking.

A nearly-new (3300 miles 2014 plate) second-hand BMW 520D Estate at just under 33000 quid. Great price for a car with high-spec that would have costed well over 40K new. Has to be an estate for me, I need to be able to throw the dog in the back and stuff the rear-seats compartment with whatever is needed for a week in Scotland.

So, what would you choose?

I have an XC60 after some years with xc90s and previously Range Rovers and Land Cruisers.

The XC60 is a lovely car. The more I drive it the more I like it. You could do a lot worse.

I have an XC60 after some years with xc90s and previously Range Rovers and Land Cruisers.

The XC60 is a lovely car. The more I drive it the more I like it. You could do a lot worse.

I have been a passenger in them, both here and in China and the Netherlands. The Chinese was the top of the range petrol engine, the Dutch was the top of the range diesel and the one here was the excellent D4. In all cases I loved the experience. As a V70 driver it feels very familiar, yet more spacious in the driver position.

Really?

You mean to tell me that the Nissan GT-R, a car that:

• Can hit 60mph in under 3 seconds
  • Can lap the Nurburgring in a little over 7 minutes
  • Has a top speed of nearly 200mph

will cost more to buy, service and maintain than a Nissan Micra would?

Why, I had absolutely no idea! Thank you for pointing out this small but vital fact.

In fact, I was about to pop down to my local Nissan dealer today with a few thousand in cash and expect to walk out with a brand new Nissan GT-R.

Oh, would my face have been red :blush:

It's not just a little bit more though. It's a service every 6 months, mileage irrespective. And it's an expensive service. One thread I've seen suggests £2k a month in running costs, doing low mileage! That might be an exaggeration, but even so, that's a huge cost.

It's not just a little bit more though. It's a service every 6 months, mileage irrespective. And it's an expensive service. One thread I've seen suggests £2k a month in running costs, doing low mileage! That might be an exaggeration, but even so, that's a huge cost.

That's rather an exaggeration. Any high performance car is not going to be cheap to run.

My mate sold his as it was too expensive for him to run as a daily but running costs were nowhere near £2k/month.

• 4 months later...