35K for a car, what do you buy?

One of our friends recently had a rented 2014 Vauxhall Insignia, we were both rather impressed, seems Opel/Vauxhall are indeed on the up, their reputation still follows them here though, on the continent Opel's are held in higher esteem than Vauxhall here, which is odd considering they've been the same company for what... 40 years now?

I buy a £10,000 car and save the rest for rainy day

Good idea.... A 740 BMW .... Proper car

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 19:19 ----------

I'd spend about 1500 quid on a old car from late 80's/early 90,s.... Fiesta xr2 or something.... Cool :)

Good idea.... A 740 BMW .... Proper car

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 19:19 ----------

I'd spend about 1500 quid on a old car from late 80's/early 90,s.... Fiesta xr2 or something.... Cool :)

I have to admit that I was about an inch away from buying a fully restored and maintained Volvo 850 T5 from 1995 for £ 3,800 a couple of years ago, basically because it was like my old one, red with tan leather interior, even had the same wheels. But the idea that anything could go wrong put me off, I'd hate for a car like that to tarnish my brilliant memories of that thing.

I think you may well find by the way that the Xr2 is appreciating fast at the moment and could well be worth a lot more than 1,500!

Yes... These old cars break.... But as long as you,ve got a 10 ,13 and 17 mm spanner and you can see where it goes... You fix it without even being a mechanic!

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 19:38 ----------

Audi A6 3.0tdi Quattro estate.

Close.. And good choice.. But I,d say the 2.7 Quattro with auto box...