35K for a car, what do you buy?

Having taken delivery of a new car in the last few months this is an interesting topic. Had I had £35k at the time of ordering I think I would have gone for the Merc A class AMG. However I didn't so I settled on a VW Golf R which I absolutely love to bits. The 4 wheel drive has really helped me the last couple of days as well :thumbsup:

I am a big fan of hot hatch backs.

Very nice!

The other option for me would be to not buy a new car and spend the money on my mk2 GTI, I could have it converted to something really interesting with 4wd :D

I was gonna say vwkittie, you are not honouring your username!

I am partial to hot hatchbacks as well, in fact the smaller ones, I had a Twingo (the proper continental model) that was insanely quick after some "special attention" I loved that thing. A friend of mine owns a Mk II Golf, but he is keeping it stored away in a lock-up, he inherited it from his uncle and it only had 4K on the clock, but as he was too young to drive his dad sorted out a lock-up for a very good price and it is still there.

Don't know what model it is, but it is bound to be appreciating at the moment.

A Mazda 3 MPS I think, if we're talking about buying a brand new car. Masses of fun, nice looking, reasonably unusual :)

The forthcoming one looks amazing, I would absolutely LOVE one.

I'd agree with this. They're very tunable too. Get a decent Mk2 one and some decent upgrades for £35K. There's a Mk1 (I think) white one I see sometimes in Chesterfield/Sheffield that's really nice....and quick too!

While a Nissan GTR is a nice to have you don't want the ones going for £35K, you want to buy one that's been looked after properly and I can't see even the first ones going for that little yet.

Haha :) Is it as big as our Clumber Spaniel though? I like that he can go for a walk in the back of the car ;)
Had to Google for a look-see of what that looks like :D

Somewhat smaller by the look of things, as 40lbs' worth of Patterdale (mostly) and Collie (...we think) cross. Permanently wired on 380V triphase, with the prey instinct of a great white for owt furry/feathery/scaly in whichever size (had some issues getting him back, when he chased after a big (350lbs+) solitary wild boar around Xmas :gag:). And yet, he'll happily sleep on the back seat for hundreds of miles at a time.

Well, as you now know from t'other thread, I'm forced into the market, particularly as the insurance assessor has been this morning and his preliminary "it's panels only, you're grand" opinion eventually progressed into a final "don't drive it until we or the insurance call you" :(

So...the budget is a fair stretch down from £35k, but keep the thread alive with ideas, as I can't make up my mind what to replace t'Scoobie with: big engined luxobarge (an old low-miles S class or A8 appeals), pure sports (Boxster, BRZ), or a leftfield somewhere in-between (middle sized with a touch of sportiness) :)

Edited by L00b

Ah shuggs. As I understand it the Sub was your 'fun car', still plenty of interesting options even at a budget, but a bit tricky to guess your budget :)

I was recently ferried around between Lboro and Leicester in a Honda S2000. I was well impressed, proper roadster with some gorgeous driving characteristics. There is a new one on the way apparently.

If you are keen on the 4x4 have a look at a Skoda Yeti, friends of ours had one and that car really surprised me.

Depends what the car is to be used for. If it's just a run around I'd go for a Fiat 500. If it's a touring job, maybe a Ford Mondeo

The new Ford Mondeo what has just been launched. The top spec one with four wheel drive. One of the safest cars on the road.

I have had the Mk1, 2 and 3 which is 9 years old and cost 1 ball joint a clutch and a battery. Comfortable ride, 38 mpg knocking about 57 on a run and never a bit of bum ache after 5 hours driving unlike the Vauxhall Astra I had for a short while. 1 hour in that And I walked like a Chimpanzee when I got out.

Ah shuggs. As I understand it the Sub was your 'fun car'
Nope, the Sub was the inexpensive wintertime commuter/local trips-taker. In that respect, I suppose it's done its job, it go mashed instead of the expensive Merc or the treasured fun car (which has been in-hand for the last 15 years, has cost just about sod all in that time, and still looks so minty-fresh I get offers every time I take it out...and that's before they've seen the pedigree ;))

Looked at S-2000 a few times over the years, but I'd sooner either a bigger-engined roadster (the MX-5 is rev-happy enough, I want some torque now...and my mid-life crisis, to which I am entitled, g'dammit! :hihi:) or a family convert (e.g. A3 or A4, don't like A5, hate TT).

The Yeti, whilst I agree that it is a very good car, just doesn't appeal here as I'm not after another 4WD/AWD or a cheap 'carting' wagon. Had the Sub just over a year and we haven't really needed the extra boot space or the AWD at all in the end, so now I just fancy a change. Tbh, for what it's cost me in petrol over that time (petrol Subs are thirsty, and a heavy or light foot seems to make bugger all difference!), I might as well have bought a set of spare steels with winter tyres for the Merc or MX-5 or <3rd FWD or RWD car> ;)

Edited by L00b

I was gonna say vwkittie, you are not honouring your username!

I am partial to hot hatchbacks as well, in fact the smaller ones, I had a Twingo (the proper continental model) that was insanely quick after some "special attention" I loved that thing. A friend of mine owns a Mk II Golf, but he is keeping it stored away in a lock-up, he inherited it from his uncle and it only had 4K on the clock, but as he was too young to drive his dad sorted out a lock-up for a very good price and it is still there.

Don't know what model it is, but it is bound to be appreciating at the moment.

Could be worth a fair bit! Some of the rarer models are worth an absolute fortune now, especially if low miles and in good, original condition. Even a Driver would be worth something.

Mine was my dad's and he passed it to me for my 21st birthday. It's very special to me.

Nope, the Sub was the inexpensive wintertime commuter/local trips-taker. In that respect, I suppose it's done its job, it go mashed instead of the expensive Merc or the treasured fun car (which has been in-hand for the last 15 years, has cost just about sod all in that time, and still looks so minty-fresh I get offers every time I take it out...and that's before they've seen the pedigree ;))

Looked at S-2000 a few times over the years, but I'd sooner either a bigger-engined roadster (the MX-5 is rev-happy enough, I want some torque now...and my mid-life crisis, to which I am entitled, g'dammit! :hihi:) or a family convert (e.g. A3 or A4, don't like A5, hate TT).

The Yeti, whilst I agree that it is a very good car, just doesn't appeal here as I'm not after another 4WD/AWD or a cheap 'carting' wagon. Had the Sub just over a year and we haven't really needed the extra boot space or the AWD at all in the end, so now I just fancy a change. Tbh, for what it's cost me in petrol over that time (petrol Subs are thirsty, and a heavy or light foot seems to make bugger all difference!), I might as well have bought a set of spare steels with winter tyres for the Merc or MX-5 or <3rd FWD or RWD car> ;)

In that case, as a replacement have a look at an old Volvo, these days you can pick up a good, low mileage 940, 850, early V/S70 for around 2-3K, low mileage on a Volvo means below 150K though :)

My uncle took a slightly different route, he has taken a real liking to "proper" old cars, in the Netherlands cars over 25 are road-tax excempt, he has a Mercedes 300 from 1974 (his birthyear, has 480K km on the clock) a Renault 6 with a completely refurbished engine and interior and recently bought an Audi 80 as a restoration project. I actually think he is on to something, I always believe that scrapping a car is worse for the environment than to keep it running and the "technically uncomplicated" generation is a joy to work on.

Could be worth a fair bit! Some of the rarer models are worth an absolute fortune now, especially if low miles and in good, original condition. Even a Driver would be worth something.

Mine was my dad's and he passed it to me for my 21st birthday. It's very special to me.

His is special to him as well, he goes in every month to clean it, check on it and usually puts a picture on Facebook when he does :) He recently went to a VW fanclub show and was shocked at the prices, especially of fully original models.

In that case, as a replacement have a look at an old Volvo, these days you can pick up a good, low mileage 940, 850, early V/S70 for around 2-3K, low mileage on a Volvo means below 150K though :)

£2k for an 850?..I bet you could buy 3 of them for that money...