35K for a car, what do you buy?

I was gonna say vwkittie, you are not honouring your username!

I am partial to hot hatchbacks as well, in fact the smaller ones, I had a Twingo (the proper continental model) that was insanely quick after some "special attention" I loved that thing. A friend of mine owns a Mk II Golf, but he is keeping it stored away in a lock-up, he inherited it from his uncle and it only had 4K on the clock, but as he was too young to drive his dad sorted out a lock-up for a very good price and it is still there.

Don't know what model it is, but it is bound to be appreciating at the moment.

I had a 1989 Mk 2 16V GTi Golf. It was my pride and joy it went like the wind:o

It finally needed money spent on it and I got rid and bought a new Audi A3 1.8T which was as fast but a more sedate and unexciting drive.

The fellow that bought it did it up and drove round to show me how good it looked:cry::cry::cry:

If I had the money I would buy one and have it stripped andprofessionally restored to factory condition but this time with power steering....it was heavy without it!

Would £35K be enough??

Edited by davyboy

£2k for an 850?..I bet you could buy 3 of them for that money...

Note the 'Good'. I recently found one that I was really tempted by, it was 4K but was kept by a Volvo-owner club member and had only done 68K. You can find lots for under 1K but you have to worry about things like cambelts/timing, brake master cylinder, aircon and a few other common faults. All things that will cost quite a bit to fix.

@davyboy - yeah 35K would cover a proper and full restore of a Golf I reckon. Depends a bit on the quality of the car you would want to fix up though!

In that case, as a replacement have a look at an old Volvo, these days you can pick up a good, low mileage 940, 850, early V/S70 for around 2-3K
I am never (n-e-v-e-r) buying another Volvo, after that P.O.S v50 I very briefly had (very low-miler, 1previous owner , FMDSH, 2.0D 55 reg). Worst car I've owned in last 20 years, by some distance.

(search my old posts if you're bothered ;))

The Sub replaced it.

Edited by L00b

I am never (n-e-v-e-r) buying another Volvo, after that P.O.S v50 I very briefly had (very low-miler, 1previous owner , FMDSH, 2.0D 55 reg). Worst car I've owned in last 20 years, by some distance.

(search my old posts if you're bothered ;))

The Sub replaced it.

The V50 was still a Focus with a Volvo badge! You can't compare that to real Volvos! We owned a V40, 2 years old, 1 owner, low miles and full history and it was the worst car we ever owned, one day on the ring road of Groningen it decided to set off the alarm and immobilise, in the outside lane of three, in front of red lights. Got it looked at, two days later it developed a fault where the alarm would go off at random, even when driving. Dreadful car, but not a Volvo.

The V50 was still a Focus with a Volvo badge!
So, it was a Volvo.

If Volvo don't want the negative goodwill, they should carefully consider what they choose to put their badge on ;) ...

...or, alternatively, hire semi-decent programmers for their car management computers :twisted: (that V50 was a safe, solid and comfortable drive, I'd have kept it years if it wasn't for the Gremlins: a full cinema room's worth of them, just like the movie).

Sub is deffo a write-off now, just got the word and the offer this morning (...and made a £200 profit, a tad over a year and 10,000+ miles later :o ). Still looking to make up my mind. Fast, as I'd rather not have to get the MX-5 out of hibernation.

Edited by L00b

I had a 1989 Mk 2 16V GTi Golf. It was my pride and joy it went like the wind:o

It finally needed money spent on it and I got rid and bought a new Audi A3 1.8T which was as fast but a more sedate and unexciting drive.

The fellow that bought it did it up and drove round to show me how good it looked:cry::cry::cry:

If I had the money I would buy one and have it stripped andprofessionally restored to factory condition but this time with power steering....it was heavy without it!

Would £35K be enough??

:hihi: My mk2's got power steering, with my weak girl arms I'm glad of it!

So, it was a Volvo.

If Volvo don't want the negative goodwill, they should carefully consider what they choose to put their badge on ;) ...

...or, alternatively, hire semi-decent programmers for their car management computers :twisted: (that V50 was a safe, solid and comfortable drive, I'd have kept it years if it wasn't for the Gremlins: a full cinema room's worth of them, just like the movie).

Sub is deffo a write-off now, just got the word and the offer this morning (...and made a £200 profit, a tad over a year and 10,000+ miles later :o ). Still looking to make up my mind. Fast, as I'd rather not have to get the MX-5 out of hibernation.

At the time Volvo was owned by Ford, so they didn't get a say on the matter. It was a dark time in history, mankind was close to extinction. Fortunately the new Chinese owners realise that Volvo knows a thing or two about how to screw a car together and is simply providing funds to let them get on with it :) Our current 2008 V70 was redesigned to take a distinct step away from the bad image Ford delivered and it really shows compared to the rather dreadful model before that.

But anyway, no convincing the unconvincables!

Still don't know what the budget for your replacement would be, but as you like cars with a bit of oomph, have you considered looking at the souped up Mazda's that have been mentioned in this thread? The MPS line? My sister-in-law had the previous model 3 series and it was very nice to drive, I personally can't stand the look of them, but nothing wrong with how that was screwed together!

Also, re-mentioning them, have a look at the Skoda range as well, ultra-reliable and the VRs line is quick too!

35K Sterling, around just over 50K US dollars. I would buy a fully restored,cherry condition 1957 Chevy Bel Air rag top, two tone. That's about the going price on the classic car market. For me it would be an investment and it could only gain value as the years go by.

I wouldn't bother spending that amount on any car for daily use. A new Honda or Toyota for half that amount would do just fine

35K Sterling, around just over 50K US dollars. I would buy a fully restored,cherry condition 1957 Chevy Bel Air rag top, two tone. That's about the going price on the classic car market. For me it would be an investment and it could only gain value as the years go by.

I wouldn't bother spending that amount on any car for daily use. A new Honda or Toyota for half that amount would do just fine

I've never looked into it, but I believe cars are relatively speaking very cheap to buy in the States compared to here?