35K for a car, what do you buy?

Still don't know what the budget for your replacement would be,
Figure £10k max. I'm not after better/newer than the Merc, just a commuter/local trip-taker with a bit of personality, sub-50kmiles, 07 or newer :) ...relative to your £35k OP, talk about off-topic, I know :blush::hihi:

have you considered looking at the souped up Mazda's that have been mentioned in this thread? The MPS line?
It's t'other thread ;) I'm going to test drive one at the weekend, as it happens. As a long-time serial owner of Scoobs, the looks department is easily overlooked here, it's the drive, reliability and build quality that counts. And we have a long love affair with Mazda, sooo...

I'll also try to fit in a Focus ST that's local to me and the right colour/age/miles/price, which has the same turbo'd 5-pot as the T5 (so I'm told). I'm not anti-Ford, just a bit wary of them, and only asking to be convinced :)

Also, re-mentioning them, have a look at the Skoda range as well, ultra-reliable and the VRs line is quick too!
I tried an 06 vRS just before buying the Scoob, but unfortunately it turned out to be knackered (gave the dealer a bit of an earful about the Trade Descriptions Act, what with travelling 45 miles to go see it) so that put me off a little bit. I've not discounted them, they're certainly on my list of 'possibles', and that even includes Fabias (see, I told you I'm not so bothered about the looks :hihi:)

Good shout at the Chevy, Harleyman. Personally, I'd go for a 'vette of the same vintage, a thing of absolute automotive beauty...but that's going to clock in at substantially over £$50k these days :cry:

Edited by L00b

Figure £10k max. I'm not after better/newer than the Merc, just a commuter/local trip-taker with a bit of personality, sub-50kmiles, 07 or newer :) ...relative to your £35k OP, talk about off-topic, I know :blush::hihi:

It's t'other thread ;) I'm going to test drive one at the weekend, as it happens. As a long-time serial owner of Scoobs, the looks department is easily overlooked here, it's the drive, reliability and build quality that counts. And we have a long love affair with Mazda, sooo...

I'll also try to fit in a Focus ST that's local to me and the right colour/age/miles/price, which has the same turbo'd 5-pot as the T5 (so I'm told). I'm not anti-Ford, just a bit wary of them, and only asking to be convinced :)

I tried an 06 vRS just before buying the Scoob, but unfortunately it turned out to be knackered (gave the dealer a bit of an earful about the Trade Descriptions Act, what with travelling 45 miles to go see it) so that put me off a little bit. I've not discounted them, they're certainly on my list of 'possibles', and that even includes Fabias (see, I told you I'm not so bothered about the looks

Cool, I always love the anticipation of getting another car, checking things out, being disappointed at how small they are when I get in them and so on ;)

You're right, the ST does/did use the same engine as the T5, which in turn is a tuned version of the engine that is in our V70 (ours is 200bhp) it is a goooooorgeous engine, just a shame that to get it in a hot hatch it has to be in a Focus :) Although the right colour does a lot to off-set the dull-ish looks. but if that doesn't bother you, and you are not wary of the Focus sharing the same ECB as the V50 than you will be fine ;)

Personally I'd go for a new mid range Qashqai with every accessory know to man in it so a Tekna. So 23K with massive 20" alloys etc....

All my cars have been pretty basic, the last car was a cavalier Mk 3 best car I ever owned and the opposite of the 'Brick' I now drive so anything's an improvement on the Vauxhall I now have

I also like Audi Q3 and Volvo QC series however you don't get a lot for the price paid. A nice Pontiac Transam wouldn't go amiss either a nice V12 complete with built in crane to help me get out of it!

Edited by Norseman

My choice of car for 35K would be a Mercedes E Class 220cdi,I presently have owned a 2001 model that was purchased over 8 years ago with 44,000 miles on the clock!.I have the means to buy a new one but up to just I would be loathe to part with it,it rides beautifully has a fair turn of acceleration when needed and of course diesel economy 38 mph urban 57mph on a run!.After 3and half hour runs to Wiltshire a few times a year you climb out without a twinge of discomfort,you have to keep an eye on the bodywork with a car of this age and service it regularly,everywhere I go people remark on the good appearance and condition of my motor!.I would be lucky to get £2,000 for it but that's not a problem as I will run her into the ground before parting with her!.

Tells everyone you know nothing in the real world!

Nissan cost a fortune to service.

You cant reach 1/4 of its full potentrail on roads.

Whats the point of such a stupid car?

judgemental much...:rolleyes:

no they dont... go to nissan, yeah, but it can be done for a lot less.

Thats pretty much every car on the road...

Whats the point in anything?

I drive a supercharged 500rwhp 5.4lt V8 as my daily car and for work. Its raw, no modern driver aids, interesting to drive in the wet but will put a smile on my face everytime i sit in the drivers seat. I did it because I enjoy driving it, just like you do with your hobbies.

Wow, you are rather rude, I know quite a lot about the real world dear.

I can afford to service it, if I so wish, my current vehicle is rather costly to run, which I choose to do.

Who said I would just drive it on roads ? I would do a few track days in it, which I do in my current vehicle.

You ask what's the point in such a stupid car........I could ask the same about your response, but I won't, as I am not as rude as you :)

What's the point of any car that's quicker than a Corsa then?

What a stupid comment.