35K for a car, what do you buy?

Several, in assorted colours...

OT I had to rush home last Thursday in the snow, and managed to get the old Range Rover, 4 wheel drifting round a couple of bends (at low speed officer, on snow, in control at all times) it was suprisingly chuckable.

I used to have a v8 disco, loads of fun..the missus decided to get a freelander instead and that isn't bad..no probs in the snow this year at all..mind you I think the Conti cross contact winters might have a bit to do with it..

Yep,the MGC's are a bit nose heavy but a nice car all the same..

I used to race against a chap who had one, 20 odd years ago (MGBCV8 championship).

He was always great at the start of the race, but our B always caught him and passed him in the 2nd half of the race.

We worked out he was cooking his brakes, so a fluid upgrade, a few cooling ducts and removal of the front backing plates had him sorted. Couldn't catch the bugger then though.

---------- Post added 04-02-2015 at 16:12 ----------

I used to have a v8 disco, loads of fun..the missus decided to get a freelander instead and that isn't bad..no probs in the snow this year at all..mind you I think the Conti cross contact winters might have a bit to do with it..

Just watch the VC unit on those, it's why so many have been converted to 2WD 'for economy'.

Nice, but I don't have enough chest hair for that :D
(Regrettably-) I do :blush: Blame the Mediterranean DNA :D

Regret of my life, that car is. I came this close to buying one off LKC Motors (Thurcroft) in the early 2000s (might have been '01 or '02). It was the owner's son's, mint, in that TVR pearlescent purple/blue metallic and advertised for beans (sub-£15k IIRC) considering the mileage (20k), history (1 owner from new) and extras (full s/s lines, brembo brakes upgrade, aviation hoses and whatnot). Missus wouldn't let me part-ex the MX-5, so that was that :cry:

Edited by L00b

I used to race against a chap who had one, 20 odd years ago (MGBCV8 championship).

He was always great at the start of the race, but our B always caught him and passed him in the 2nd half of the race.

We worked out he was cooking his brakes, so a fluid upgrade, a few cooling ducts and removal of the front backing plates had him sorted. Couldn't catch the bugger then though.

---------- Post added 04-02-2015 at 16:12 ----------

Just watch the VC unit on those, it's why so many have been converted to 2WD 'for economy'.

Yep..this seems OK..no "stiffening" on full lock in reverse..doesn't get hot in normal running..stuck the front wheels on the rollers at my BiL's garage ran the car..rear wheels kicked in a second or so after..so it isn't seized (yet)..might just swap it for peace of mind with one from Bell in the summer.. I have an acquaintance in Chesterfield who runs in the MGBCV8 ..he has a V8 GT

Yep..this seems OK..no "stiffening" on full lock in reverse..doesn't get hot in normal running..stuck the front wheels on the rollers at my BiL's garage ran the car..rear wheels kicked in a second or so after..so it isn't seized (yet)..might just swap it for peace of mind with one from Bell in the summer.. I have an acquaintance in Chesterfield who runs in the MGBCV8 ..he has a V8 GT

I've been out of the MG world for a good couple of decades now (since getting married and having kids).

Still have the 1360 engine from my old Midget in the garage somewhere though.

Tells everyone you know nothing in the real world!

Nissan cost a fortune to service.

You cant reach 1/4 of its full potentrail on roads.

Whats the point of such a stupid car?

Really?

You mean to tell me that the Nissan GT-R, a car that:

• Can hit 60mph in under 3 seconds
  • Can lap the Nurburgring in a little over 7 minutes
  • Has a top speed of nearly 200mph

will cost more to buy, service and maintain than a Nissan Micra would?

Why, I had absolutely no idea! Thank you for pointing out this small but vital fact.

In fact, I was about to pop down to my local Nissan dealer today with a few thousand in cash and expect to walk out with a brand new Nissan GT-R.

Oh, would my face have been red :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
My choice of car for 35K would be a Mercedes E Class 220cdi
As it happens I test-drove one Saturday afternoon, and I must admit that the 220 diesel powerplant was a surprisingly good fit for it (initially I thought it may prove slightly underpowered for the size of the car, considering I'm used to that engine in a C class).

Of course it's not going to set the tarmac on fire, but I didn't notice much of any difference in driving ability or take-off. The car was cold and the test drive not long enough to compare 'real life' MPG, but it looked similar enough to the C class when cold (35+).

It's just a pity that car had (clearly) been unloved by its sole previous owner, and felt it at the wheel.

...So I bought the Mrs a Cooper S convertible instead :gag::hihi::loopy: (so now I can have 'her' Merc)

[/L00b's car search]

Did it come with the free Nicky Clarke styling accessories ? :D
I'm hoping so: it is the Mrs' car and she is a qualified hairdresser :thumbsup::P

EDIT - certainly could do with the free superglue-strength hairgel, with the top down buffeting's rather bad past 130mph :twisted:

EDIT - ontopic, for £35k...I'd stretch the budget by whatever means to £40k and get this.

Edited by L00b