Is it time BMW cars were banned from the roads during snow?

Odd isn't it that front engined rear drive BMWs with almost 600bhp have enough traction to go 0-60 in 4 seconds and yet front wheel drive cars struggle to put 250 bhp through to the road.

They can, but it affects the steering so adversely that you cant put an awful lot through it. Asking the front wheels to steer and provide drive is asking too much over a certain level of power

Odd isn't it that front engined rear drive BMWs with almost 600bhp have enough traction to go 0-60 in 4 seconds and yet front wheel drive cars struggle to put 250 bhp through to the road.

Having watched the weather reports on Look North etc it seemed that it was front drive cars that struggled to get up the hills. I generally stick a couple of bags of sand in the boot of my rwd for traction, and in emergencies I've something to put under the wheels of the Clio that is blocking the road.

Smaller engines, made out of lighter materials like aluminium. I bet the two bags of sand weigh more than some engines now.

Talk about a coincidence I was reading this thread when the doorbell rang,stood at the door was the architect visiting next door to me!.He was well and truly stuck on their icy drive which only had a slight humpy incline on it,his car Bmw coupe with low profile tyres!.I used half a bag of rocksalt to get him free,the grip on his tyres was pathetic!.He was totally unprepared for winter weather he looked at me gone out when I suggested he purchased winter tyres or at least put a couple of bags of rocksalt and hession sacks plus shovel in the boot,it was a lovely motor if it was mine I wouldn,t risk damaging it for the sake of a few quid!.

To go back to the original question:

"Is it time BMW cars were banned from the roads during snow?"

How would that law work?

It would never get passed as EU laws demand fair competition for all member states.

And if the law could be passed, what penalty would a BMW driver face for driving in the snow?

And what would constitute snow?

How much would there have to be?

Would it have to be proved that the snow was already on the ground when BMW Driver started their journey?

The question was tongue in cheek after watching numerous BMWs failing to get up the incline outside my house and blocking traffic.

Perhaps BMWs drivers could be pragmatic like my mate who owns one.

Every time there is a threat of snow I hear the immortal words " Best get my wellies out again"

Having watched the weather reports on Look North etc it seemed that it was front drive cars that struggled to get up the hills. I generally stick a couple of bags of sand in the boot of my rwd for traction, and in emergencies I've something to put under the wheels of the Clio that is blocking the road.

Look at which end is doing the driving. A RWD will push the wheels under the car under acceleration due to torque - more power increases the traction available. A FWD will end up lifting off due to applied torque and the traction decreases a little.

Look at which end is doing the driving. A RWD will push the wheels under the car under acceleration due to torque - more power increases the traction available. A FWD will end up lifting off due to applied torque and the traction decreases a little.

Yep, with a RWD the more you accelerate the more of the weight of the car "goes backwards" onto the rear wheels giving more traction..

You have no need to tell me how to drive, but the reminder is much appreciated. Thank you. It may be helpful for the vehicularly challenged amongst us.
Wasn't addressed to you specifically Ron, BIB was the intended purpose :)

Going to test-drive a 240-odd hp FWD Mazda at the weekend, it'll be interesting to experience how much "big HP + FWD" tech has advanced since I last had one such, a couple of decades ago or so (AX GT...that wasn't really 'big' hp, but torquesteer was already an issue then).

Wasn't addressed to you specifically Ron, BIB was the intended purpose :)

Going to test-drive a 240-odd hp FWD Mazda at the weekend, it'll be interesting to experience how much "big HP + FWD" tech has advanced since I last had one such, a couple of decades ago or so (AX GT...that wasn't really 'big' hp, but torquesteer was already an issue then).

Mazda 3 MPS by any chance?