Driving in snow

Put it in first gear and put your foot down. Sorted.

DON'T put your foot down. To drive properly in snow you need as little gas as possible, whilst using as high a gear as possible, avoid spinning the wheels, as this just polishes and compacts the snow. I have seen so many people spinning their wheels and getting nowhere!!!

we have about 7" up here ,been out in the Discovery this morning, no problems what so ever.

There are a certain group of 4x4 drivers who think they have the same stopping power on ice/snow as they do on a dry road in summer, even when running on summer tyres (which most are). Consequently they don't bother to change their driver behaviour in any way making themselves a hazard, not just to themselves but to everybody else on the roads.

jb

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 12:03 ----------

DON'T put your foot down. To drive properly in snow you need as little gas as possible, whilst using as high a gear as possible, avoid spinning the wheels, as this just polishes and compacts the snow. I have seen so many people spinning their wheels and getting nowhere!!!

Swoooosh.

jb

Welcome to Sheffield Forum. And WHOOOOOOOSH. :help:

we have about 7" up here ,been out in the Discovery this morning, no problems what so ever.

The crackpot coming out of the Co-Op car park on White lane thought the same until he did a twirl in the middle of the road,Range rover drivers impervious to danger.

Please drive carefully..I have seen so many accidents with drivers going tooo fast. Slow dowwwwn:) Its on red alert. You have been warned

We tweeted some basic tips on Winter Driving.

https://twitter.com/SaferSheffield/status/560770908714192896?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=SaferSheffield&utm_content=560770908714192896

How bad is Sheffield?

I am in Rotherham and need to get back , is Meadowhall ok? Trams?

Dunno about trams, but roads perfectly OK/clear around Meadowhall.

Drive slowly. Idiot driving too fast rear-ended me this morning at T-junction, put me straight into a passing car. My AWD scoob is dead (as I reckon the insurer will class damage as not economical to repair considering age/value of car, even though driveable with fully functional lights and just 'banged up'), so is the car I got shunted into (as I reckon again, considering the wheeltrain damage to that car) :(

After that, didn't enjoy the commute in the RWD Merc saloon much (an artic bound for Worksop was stuck at the Anston x-road/lights just after the Shell petrol station again), A57 and M1 were a bit dicey. Dreading commute home :mad:

Edited by L00b