Auschwitcz concentration camp

I have taken students several times and nothing prepares you for it. Each time something new has been discovered or the guide tells you something new. There are two sites, the first site is the purpose built barracks which were initially used. Here there's the famous gate and gas chambers. The other site has the railway track and the destroyed chambers. Everybody has to be taken by a guide and its easy to book these in Kraków. It's about an hours drive from the city. The guides are rigourously assessed for their knowledge, I believe they are inspected/ observed every year. They really know their stuff. Sometimes there are guest guides who were survivors but this is increasingly rare. Each time we have been it has snowed.

Watching some of the survivors telling their stories on the news, the other night, was heartbreaking amd harrowing.

Its sad that due to natural aging etc, there are so few remaining people to remember the acts of these atrocities, against jews, against the mentally and physically disabled, against the dissenters and the communists, the slavic people, the gypsy, and even Jehovah'ss Witnesses.

I worry that we later generstions, and our grandchildren onwards will be too far removed from these atrocities to fully comprehend the sheer horror that was the nazis' "Final Solution".

All in all, estimates calculate that the were 11 million people killed in these camps, 6 million jews, and a further 5 million dissenters, the communists, the disabled, slav, gypsy, etc.

Watching some of the survivors telling their stories on the news, the other night, was heartbreaking amd harrowing.

Its sad that due to natural aging etc, there are so few remaining people to remember the acts of these atrocities, against jews, against the mentally and physically disabled, against the dissenters and the communists, the slavic people, the gypsy, and even Jehovah'ss Witnesses.

I worry that we later generstions, and our grandchildren onwards will be too far removed from these atrocities to fully comprehend the sheer horror that was the nazis' "Final Solution".

All in all, estimates calculate that the were 11 million people killed in these camps, 6 million jews, and a further 5 million dissenters, the communists, the disabled, slav, gypsy, etc.

We have very recently seen similar atrocities.....

Has anyone on the forum ever visited auschwitcz concentration camp

Been watching on TV over the last few days , I know it's a place where people

Don't like to talk about but I am thinking of going over to see for myself,

Just feel I have to go

Why visit the past?