Bill Beavers motorbike shop

The shop at Page Hall is still there, but Bill Beevers closed a good while ago. It was some sort of furniture shop the last time I looked. I went in and asked what had happened to the Honda illuminating sign. They said that it had fallen apart when removed. Mmmmm.

I bought a bike from there in 1960 and my old workmate bought a Honda 50 in later years.

In the late sixties/early 70s I used to call as a salesman for Ever Ready each week and met Bill again several times. He had retired by then and the shop was run by his nephew.

Here's a link to a pic of the shop.....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t06085&prevUrl=

Edited by PeterR

Bill Beevers and his wife Lilly have been dead for many years now and died in their home in Castletown in the Isle of Man.When Bill retired he gave the shop to his nephew Tom who ran it for a few years before selling the business.The name belongs to a business just off Woolley wood rd and has nothing to do now with the original owner.Bill was a good friend of mine for many years.

Bill Beevers and his wife Lilly have been dead for many years now and died in their home in Castletown in the Isle of Man.When Bill retired he gave the shop to his nephew Tom who ran it for a few years before selling the business.The name belongs to a business just off Woolley wood rd and has nothing to do now with the original owner.Bill was a good friend of mine for many years.

Hi bullerboY,

It was Tom who I used to sell to in the late 60s/early70s. (see my post number 3 on this page.) He was a gentleman to deal with. I recall he ran a Rover P6 and Bill ran a red Jaguar E Type.

I was led to believe it was Castleton in Derbyshire where Bill (I knew him as Mr Beevers in the more formal times) had lived, but Castletown Isle of Man with the TT association with his bike racing now makes sense to me.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Many many years ago a friend of mine who I worked with had a Norton Dominator which he was rebuilding, he took the gas tank and oil tank to Bill Beevers at the Page Hall location to be refurbished and painted in the traditional colours (we all worked fairly close to there), I don't know if Bill had to send it out anywhere else but when it came back in terrific condition and like new, my friend was charged 7pound odd, a mere pittance even for those times. I remember all the photos in the shop window of his TT days on the Isle of Man.

PeterR I went to his house a few times at Castletown and have many letters and cards from him.He was a fireman on the railway before he had the shop and was the first man in sheffield with an Etype jaguar.

Hi bullerboY, I didn't know he was a railway fireman. That fills a bit more in after all these years!

I first met him after I was knocked off my NSU Quickly at Firth Park roundabout at Easter 1960 aged 16 and was whipped off to Northern General in a blue ambulance with a bell! I'd been riding a week! Still got the scars. When I recovered enough, I wheeled it down from Shiregreen to his shop for repair. To cut a long story short, it was written off and I bought an Alpino scooter from him. Those were the days :) He told me in later years that he had had to watch his speed in the E Type because it touched a hundred without noticing it! That seemed fantastic in the days I ran an old Wolsley 1660 and the like.

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 18:01 ----------

Many many years ago a friend of mine who I worked with had a Norton Dominator which he was rebuilding, he took the gas tank and oil tank to Bill Beevers at the Page Hall location to be refurbished and painted in the traditional colours (we all worked fairly close to there), I don't know if Bill had to send it out anywhere else but when it came back in terrific condition and like new, my friend was charged 7pound odd, a mere pittance even for those times. I remember all the photos in the shop window of his TT days on the Isle of Man.

Hi Fleetwood, I remember the photos too. I'm 99% sure that I can recall seeing his racing sidecar in the shop aswell, although I know George Pollard in Dinnington had one in his garage and I may be getting my wires crossed a bit :)

Edited by PeterR