Was there ever a pub on Houndkirk Road?

scoobz

About half way between Ringinglow and Fox House on Houndkirk Road there's a bridge and partial remains of a building to one side. A few years ago whilst walking on there an old friend showed me a photo of a building opposite the bridge and I'm certain he said that it used to be a pub, but I can't find any evidence of this on the internet, or even a copy of the photo.

Does anybody know anything about this?

To be fair, I can't remember what the building looked like, but that's the spot, so it must be the building.

Doesn't much look like a pub though! Do you know anything about it, and where did you find it? I'm well impressed.

Just behind the gate on the right you can see the bridge which looks exactly the same today, but the gate is no longer there. I was up there yesterday and got caught with my dog in a really fierce snow hailstorm or whatever the met. people said it was and we knelt down behind the bridge to shelter. It was coming sideways at us from the direction of the house!

The stream which comes out under the bridge is called God's Spring incidentally.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 21:12 ----------

That link is fantastic John, just what I need. I'm doing some guided walks up there shortly, and I can add that information to the walk details. You're a star!

Badger House is shown on this 1924 map..:)

Thanks for that, it's very interesting. If you notice close to Badger House on the map there are the letters M.S., which presumably means milestone.

A few years ago, the milestone in question was "discovered" in a residents garden in Dore after he'd died, and it transpired that it had been there for almost 70 years. How it got there is unknown, but what is known is that it was removed during WW2 along with many other milestones throughout the country when invasion was imminent, and the wartime government thought that by removing them, it would be more difficult for the invaders to find their way around!

It was recently put back in its original place.

Hi scoobz - it's very interesting about the milestone. I noticed that on earlier maps the mileage to Buxton is shown, rather than Tideswell. This perhaps reflects the origin of the toll-road in the 18th century linking Sheffield and Buxton via Tideswell, while later there were other routes to Buxton. Older maps also show the building as Oxdale Lodge, as mentioned in the notes accompanying the picturesheffield.com photo that drolnhoj linked. To judge from maps, the change in the name of the building and from Buxton to Tideswell on the milestone took place sometime between 1906 and 1920. Here is a map of 1882. I found a photo of the remains of the building and a few notes here.

Edited by hillsbro

Cheers for the info hillsbro, all this is very interesting.

The name of the building is quite confusing. I think it changed names more than once. In 1924 it was called Badgers House, and as you say, prior to that it was called Oxdale Lodge, named after the nearby rock formation Ox Stones. However, when it was originally built @ 1822 it was built by the inheritors of Joseph Badger who bought the land, and presumably named the cottages after him.

The big question for me now though is...............what was the pub called? The Badgers Rest? The Ox and Tail? The Houndkirk?

And a smaller question................Thieves Bridge sounds an interesting name!