Hungry Horse, Broadfield - open

Flanker7

I popped in last night. The place has been done out nicely. There's a small over 18s only area, a pool table and lots of seating. Having said that, it was packed with children running around everywhere, panicked staff, no one greeted us and we got told of for not waiting to be seated (didn't realise we had to!) Was told there was a half hour wait on food. Got crashed into by at least three children and two waiters. Conclusion: far too chaotic and noisy for me. Not a relaxing environment at all but think it'll do really well with young families and I wish them luck. I however will be sticking with the Broadfield and Robin Hood!

Me and my dog were in sunday to eat, very busy, long wait for food but worth the wait, a bit chaotic with kids running everywhere inexperienced staff, am sure it will bed in after a few weeks, no broadfield need not worry it appeals to a totally different segment of customer !!

Guys give this place a break. Of course its going to packed at first. Its a big thing a new pub opening up. Of course the team are going to unsure about things to start with. They are all learning.

Its a nice place with value for money food and drink that caters for all. from kids to grown ups wanting to watch the sport to OAPs.

If its not to your liking just don't go. Theres no need to rip it apart.

Years ago I think Hardy Pick was part of Laycocks was known as The LIttle London Road works

It was indeed it became the foundry and forge part of Laycock Engineering on Little London Road, here is a picture of the original Hardy Pick works from the Britain from above website.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw036684

As this thread has developed into a bit of a Hardy Pick v Broadfield comparison. I just thought I would comment on how disappointed I was with the Broadfield when I visited last night.

This is the first time I have been in since it was altered and what was once a lovely live venue with cosy drinking and open fires is now an horrific diner pub. The racket in there is terrible as there are no soft furnishings. with all the kids in, it was like lots of people shouting in a bare walled classroom. I could hardly hear what my companion was saying as the empty reverberation of all the talking and shouting bounced around all the walls. Half the building seems to be given over to a restaurant with a waitress waiting to show you to a table.

The placed was packed too. I don't know why. I won't be going again until they refurb it again into a more pleasant atmosphere.