Tesco Woodseats what was it

If that's the place I'm thinking of on the few occasions I went in there there was a very nice Lady in a white overall with white hair who owned the shop ..

When I first moved here the bus stop was higher up on the other side of Woodseats road out side a sweetshop called Churches.......

If that's the place I'm thinking of on the few occasions I went in there there was a very nice Lady in a white overall with white hair who owned the shop ..

When I first moved here the bus stop was higher up on the other side of Woodseats road out side a sweetshop called Churches.......

Churches shop was next to the doctors that was on the small row of shop between the From the 1965 directory, South Yorkshire District Co-operative Laundries Association Ltd., 685 Chesterfield Road. of Woodseats Road and Scarsdale Road, ther was the doctors, Churches a bakery could have been Jesney's then a newsagents (Metzgars) then something else can't remember what

Went to Woodseats school with Jeremy Bullock ,think he became one of the youngest football referees in England. I remember Rounds,the herbalist was called ENOCHS I think.You could buy one cigarette and a match from the grey haired lady in the white coat. Even though I was about 12!

Sorry if this as been covered before

Where Tesco is now was a laundery.

Where the car park for the police station is (Between Tesco and the police station) was a wood/ builders yard, this had a wooden hut at the front on the police station side which was a sweet shop.

The current Pyramid carpet shot was crown house engineering but was built for a building firm - hassal homes - rings a bell. But I may be wrong

Before the present building was placed on the pyramid carpet site it was a house with a large garden which was used by Dr Kay the local doctor. He moved with Dr Wright to Cobnar road in the mid 1960's to 4 Cobnar Road , latter on after Dr Kay had retired number 2 cobnar road was also acquired and these two houses are now woodseats medical centre.

Hope this helps

Remember that when Tesco opened in woodseats it was the first purpose built supermarket in woodseats and one of the first in Sheffield. Previous supermarket in woodseats (fine fare) had been conversions of previous buildings

The next purpose built supermarket on woodseats was liptons now farm foods - I think -its the one at the corner of woodseats road.

It should be remembered that when the Tescoe was built woodseats was a completely differante place for shopping . Indeed what is now the first house on the right on the road next to Tesco was a fruit shop if I remember correctly

Churches shop was next to the doctors that was on the small row of shop between the From the 1965 directory, South Yorkshire District Co-operative Laundries Association Ltd., 685 Chesterfield Road. of Woodseats Road and Scarsdale Road, ther was the doctors, Churches a bakery could have been Jesney's then a newsagents (Metzgars) then something else can't remember what

first shop after doctors was Porters, painters and decorators, then Mrs Churches sweet shop, next was the Fruit shop after fruit shop was Jesney Bakers, then the newsagent run by Doreen and Jack Locket, Doreens brother, Mick Metzger took it over until it became a insurance brokers, the corner shop in 1967 was a Gower and Burgins grocers and then Des Edwards took it over selling cushions and curtains. The co op was opposite Jesneys and is now the photographers

• 4 months later...

From what it was to what it will become....

Looks like they're renovating it at the moment - anyone have any ideas who's taking it over? I noticed there were never any For Sale / To Let boards on there so maybe the sale / lease was agreed before Tesco closed.