First telephone

stpetre

Had my first phone when I moved into a bungalow at Bramley, Rotherham, in 1974 which already had a line installed. Think it was a Trim Phone. I currently have a 1940s black bakelite phone and a 1960s ivory coloured plastic one.

Also have a modern phone with volume control and bells and whistles etc. as my hearing hasn't kept pace :) The old dial phones are no good either when trying to deal with an answerphone message or get through to a specific department and a pre recorded message asks you to press this or that button, and then, that or the other button... etc.:)

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 12:16 ----------

My former wife was a telephonist at the post office buildings in Fitzallen Square in the early'60s, prior to 'Subscriber Trunk Dialing'. It was regarded as a prestigious job in those days.

There were dozens of operators there working on the 'eyeball' type equipment and a supervisor seated on a dais at the end of the room ruling with a rod of iron.

My Mum worked there too between 1942 and 1954.

Having worked there alone meant she could walk into another telephonist job anywhere such was the prestige of the training and discipline.

I remember way back in the early 50's my great grandma having one of those tall black bakerlight vertical telephones that the talking piece hangs from two arms.

You had to hold the mouthpiece in one hand whilst holding the earpiece in the other.

She had a little wooden box at the side of the phone.....when she wanted to dial out, she had to wind the handle on the little wooden box to get a line to the telephone exchange before she could make the call.

You sometimes see these phones in the old Black + White films on the telly.

I remember way back in the early 50's my great grandma having one of those tall black bakerlight vertical telephones that the talking piece hangs from two arms.

You had to hold the mouthpiece in one hand whilst holding the earpiece in the other.

She had a little wooden box at the side of the phone.....when she wanted to dial out, she had to wind the handle on the little wooden box to get a line to the telephone exchange before she could make the call.

You sometimes see these phones in the old Black + White films on the telly.

Remember Robert Stack as Eliot Ness in 'The Untouchables' tv series, seemed to be on one quite often. you can still buy them today- in the U.S. anyway- 1920's 30's look but modern technology inside. Wouldn't one tho', might look a bit daft using it in front of company,

My Mum worked there too between 1942 and 1954.

Having worked there alone meant she could walk into another telephonist job anywhere such was the prestige of the training and discipline.

That's spot on Daven, my former wife had two later jobs at first attempt.

That's spot on Daven, my former wife had two later jobs at first attempt.

Mum worked on the switchboard at Robert Brothers store on the Moor for the three years between leaving the GPO when she married (this was not a choice - only unmarried women allowed) and leaving to have her first baby.

My grandfather used to run a haulage and charabanc business, using the yard of the Solvo and Quick Press Laundry on Lydgate Lane as a depot, Alexandra Nursing home now on the site. He started his business in about 1918 and in the twenties his telephone number was Broomhill 16.

My grandfather used to run a haulage and charabanc business, using the yard of the Solvo and Quick Press Laundry on Lydgate Lane as a depot, Alexandra Nursing home now on the site. He started his business in about 1918 and in the twenties his telephone number was Broomhill 16.

Often wondered how that worked. How did you dial (remember that)

B-R-O-O and so on?