Can someone please explain anti-semitism to me?

This is another fascinating example on how people interact, especially when face to face. Another huge chasm of two different people, and I expect she was as mystified of you as you were of her.

Slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be great if we could face-time each other here on the forum whilst discussing/arguing topics. Words on a screen are fine, but there is nothing like seeing the pain or pleasure in a persons human responses during a face to face encounter.

I feel pretty confident that the possible conversations would be exhilarating! :)

You may be right, but unless we all sign up for Skype it isn't going to happen and I suspect that we have a few on here that really don't want to reveal themselves.

The thing that fascinated me about the lady in question was not that we were so different, but that we were so alike, despite her having experienced things that I, thankfully, had never been forced to deal with.

She still managed to be a caring thoughtful person, you would have thought that the brutalization she had to endure as a child would have scarred her in some way and she would be inured to feelings of empathy.

The reverse was true, she was a genuine sympathetic and kind person. Humanity is both disappointing and yet at the same time enthralling.

You may be right, but unless we all sign up for Skype it isn't going to happen and I suspect that we have a few on here that really don't want to reveal themselves.

The thing that fascinated me about the lady in question was not that we were so different, but that we were so alike, despite her having experienced things that I, thankfully, had never been forced to deal with.

She still managed to be a caring thoughtful person, you would have thought that the brutalization she had to endure as a child would have scarred her in some way and she would be inured to feelings of empathy.

The reverse was true, she was a genuine sympathetic and kind person. Humanity is both disappointing and yet at the same time enthralling.

Very touching indeed. We really don't realise how lucky we are:)

I am not sure why there is all this anti-Semitism. There is a large jewish community just outside Newcastle. They do stick together, but they never try to force there beliefs on other people or try to change the law.

I was told by a policeman that they have lived here for years and you never see then signing on and you very rarely see them in trouble with the police. They also seem family oriented and you often see large familes walking around the countryside.

To me they are just a peaceful community.