Female politicians need to up their game.

I am a big suppoerter of having more women in government, but having watched their performance on several political discussion programmes, I think they need to up their game, especially their debating skills.

Having studied linguistics I am aware of the differences between male and female speech patterns, and every one of them is on display when it comes to getting a point across on television debates.

Women are wired to listen and apply reason, not interupt, add supportive murmerings, (yes.., Mmm..., I see..., nods.. etc) not raise their voice or talk over other people etc. All of which are ruthlessly exploited by males in political arguments, who 'bully' their way through combatative debates, and do the opposite of all the above. They make the women with 'manners' look weak.

Men also have lower voices which is subconsciously associated with 'gravitas.' and superiority.

Gross generalisations of course. (I expect comments from blokes telling me I haven't met their wives...:)) and there are notable exceptions. Margaret Thatcher is a prime example of a woman who bucked the trend and argued like a man, hence her success. But generally speaking, for women to be successful in a largely male arena they have to be able to counter this genetic disadvantage. They really do need to fight, or at least talk, like a man.

Just listen to a few examples in the run up to the General Election and see what you think.

I am a big suppoerter of having more women in government, but having watched their performance on several political discussion programmes, I think they need to up their game, especially their debating skills.

Having studied linguistics I am aware of the differences between male and female speech patterns, and every one of them is on display when it comes to getting a point across on television debates.

Women are wired to listen and apply reason, not interupt, add supportive murmerings, (yes.., Mmm..., I see..., nods.. etc) not raise their voice or talk over other people etc. All of which are ruthlessly exploited by males in political arguments, who 'bully' their way through combatative debates, and do the opposite of all the above. They make the women with 'manners' look weak.

Men also have lower voices which is subconsciously associated with 'gravitas.' and superiority.

Gross generalisations of course. (I expect comments from blokes telling me I haven't met their wives...:)) and there are notable exceptions. Margaret Thatcher is a prime example of a woman who bucked the trend and argued like a man, hence her success. But generally speaking, for women to be successful in a largely male arena they have to be able to counter this genetic disadvantage. They really do need to fight, or at least talk, like a man.

Just listen to a few examples in the run up to the General Election and see what you think.

I dont care about whether its a male or female politician but only how the do their job and absolutely hate positive discrimination. Also dont forget that Thatcher didnt really buck the trend as she had voice coaching lessons to make here sound more acceptable to the public.