George Barnsley & Sons

Hello,

I am aware that there are other threads relating to George Barnsley & Sons Cornish Works but I am looking specifically to find the plans for the building, any help would be much appreciated. I am using the building as the focus for my final project at Sheffield Hallam University studying Interior Design. I am aware of many Urban explorer sites with images and have bought the book written by Pauline Bell but i am really looking for anybody who could help me to understand the layout of the building.

Thank you

Local studies library? Planning department?

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 18:12 ----------

Maybe find more in a book called "One great workshop". There's a copy in the Sheffield University Library, and lots of copies in the public library in various places.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 18:36 ----------

What about contacting the archivist at the Cutler's Hall? What about a trip to Kelham Island museum/Industrial Museums Trust?

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 18:44 ----------

Or, as it's a listed building...

http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1390918

Mainly an outside description.

Except just this:

INTERIOR: Northern-most works block of robust fireproof construction, with solid floors throughout (in places overlaid with timber). First office and warehouse block along Cornish Street frontage has open wooden stair, and is extensively fitted with timber cupboards and storage boxes. Office accommodation, probably of c1880 and later, extends southwards into second block. Stone stair with plain iron balusters and wooden rail, links ground and first floors within main entrance.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 18:50 ----------

Thought there might be something here, but George Barnsley are not in the pdf file:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/steel-records.html

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 19:06 ----------

I suppose Barnsley weren't doing "big steel", and they weren't doing cutler and silverware, so they fall between the cracks in the of local archive collections.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 19:16 ----------

I know you say you've seen various urbex sites, but this one and the one it links to are fantastic!

http://www.bcd-urbex.com/george-barnsley-sons-cornish-works-sheffield/

Edited by Dannyno

Thank you Dannyno, I have contacted planning and looked into the museums trust etc but will make a visit! It does seem to be a forgotten company in all of the archives I have looked into. That site is brilliant it's what got me so interested in the first place! And thanks mammybear I will give that a go too.

• 1 year later...

Hi hannah

I was just wondering if you got any luck with finding the plans? And if you- would you mind sharing where you got them from? I'm also doing a degree in Interior Design (but at Falmouth University in Cornwall) and as part of our comprehensive final project I need some detailed case studies!

Best Wishes!!

Lucy :)