Thornbridge Jaipur X - 10% IPA

taxman

Don't know how much bottled Cocoa Wonderland costs, but it'll be easier to get hold of then bottles of Jaipur X!

Cocoa was going for £3.50 at Beer Central, £3.39 at The Dram Shop.

Edited by taxman

What's the general opinion of X ? Folk happily paying £8.50 for a bottle tonight in t'Bath! Beer hype !?

After having both keg and bottle now I can say I definitely like it but... and it's a big but... it's not as good as Halcyon. And that is one huge mistake. Like many of said, it's just like Jaipur only more so. It's really should have been the best thing they can make. And it's not.

£8.50 ,sounds a hell of a lot for a bottle of beer, sorry but it would have to be truly exceptional for me to pay that much no matter how strong it was.

It's a limited edition high-strength beer. People would happily spend over £10 on a bottle of wine, so I don't see why sub-£10 bottle of beer is so controversial.

As others have said, you can buy it (and other decent high-strength beers) for much cheaper than £8.50.

It was available at Coach & Horses at Dronfield last week. £6/pint on keg or £6.50 for 500ml bottle.

I prefer regular Jaipur or Kipling. As for bottles of silly stuff I'm happy with Crafty Hen, Sheperd Neame Double Stout or Mcewans Champion. All available 4 for £5 at ASDA.

They also sell Anastasia Russian Stout on the £2 Tuesdays at the Tap House in Chezzy. You can even get a couple of pints to take home in a tetra pack.

http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/1361/Barlow-Brewery/Anastasia-Russian-Imperial-Stout

Edited by roosterboost

It was available at Coach & Horses at Dronfield last week. £6/pint on keg or £6.50 for 500ml bottle.

I prefer regular Jaipur or Kipling. As for bottles of silly stuff I'm happy with Crafty Hen, Sheperd Neame Double Stout or Mcewans Champion. All available 4 for £5 at ASDA.

But buying booze from supermarkets is the devil`s work imo.

Coach had CW on at £4.50 a bottle too I think and they discount bottles Tues - Thurs too. They also have J X.

Personally, I `m not a Jaipur fan these days. I wasn`t impressed by the X version first time but tried another bottle over the weekend (shared between 4 of us) and it was great. Don`t know about Halcyon being `better`; it is different though. I don`t think I`d say J X is the greatest Thornbridge beer but it is certainly very tasty and one of their very best (and I`ve tried 90+ so far!). :)

But buying booze from supermarkets is the devil`s work imo.

Coach had CW on at £4.50 a bottle too I think and they discount bottles Tues - Thurs too. They also have J X.

Personally, I `m not a Jaipur fan these days. I wasn`t impressed by the X version first time but tried another bottle over the weekend (shared between 4 of us) and it was great. Don`t know about Halcyon being `better`; it is different though. I don`t think I`d say J X is the greatest Thornbridge beer but it is certainly very tasty and one of their very best (and I`ve tried 90+ so far!). :)

That's only because most supermarkets only stock cr*p booze! With the exception of Tesco' Finest American Double IPA (basically Hardcore in drag) I can't remember the last time I had a decent beer from a supermarket.

I think I prefer Halcyon as the taste is more extreme. I've always been one to drink stuff at either end of the scale - either massively rich and dark, or nuke-the-tastebuds hoppy. Jaipur X is a little too 'middle of the road' for me considering it is meant to be a celebratory beer. I'd stick to the original.

Interesting what you say about not being so much a fan of Jaipur these days as I had wained a little myself. I did think it was a change in my palate at first but went to Manchester last week and had a pint of Dobber in the Marble Arch. I was massively disappointed. It use to taste like bitter lemon cheescake / peach melba - but no more. Yet the Lagonda was every bit as good as I remember. I think the same may have happened to Thornbridge - Jaipur not so good but Kipling still excellent.

I wonder if both have had the same issues with the scale up of production for their higher ABV mainstream beer as Brewdog did with Punk? And it took Brewdog ages, plus several reductions in ABV, to sort out the reliability.

I just think buying booze from Supermarkets is really the cause of pubs closing.

The recipe for Jaipur has altered, I have been reliably informed but it`s supposed to be hoppier now than back 10 years ago. And I also wasn`t that keen on Dobber sampled at the Marble place in Chorlton. Lagonda and Earl Grey were better imo.

I just think buying booze from Supermarkets is really the cause of pubs closing.

The recipe for Jaipur has altered, I have been reliably informed but it`s supposed to be hoppier now than back 10 years ago. And I also wasn`t that keen on Dobber sampled at the Marble place in Chorlton. Lagonda and Earl Grey were better imo.

Buying booze from Supermarkets is the result of pubs that sell booze available in supermarkets closing! Which is why pubs that concentrate on having something different thrive.

I heard last week that Leeds now has more craft beer bars within 100 yards of the train station than anywhere else in the country! So some are doing very well indeed.

Buying booze from Supermarkets is the result of pubs that sell booze available in supermarkets closing! Which is why pubs that concentrate on having something different thrive.

There are a growing number of us that want `something different` and that`s great and some places are doing well off the back of this trend. However, most folk want what they know and the price that big supermarkets can sell that booze at (plus the effect of enforced pub co prices) means that too many are happy to sup at home. I`d happily avoid supermarkets all together if I could afford to.