Thornbridge Jaipur X - 10% IPA

taxman

10% beers aren't about 'having a few'. They're about having one, and savouring it. With obvious exceptions like 'Spesh', most brewers making a strong beer do so to achieve depths of flavour not possible in a normal-strength beer. It's 2015, beer ain't just for swigging these days!
aye, you may have a point. I don't do wine, mainly cos I swig it like pop and then get a heap big headache. That's just me though, I'm not a one or two pint man, 4 is a knd of unofficial minimum. Each to their own

Dare I say, Thornbridge have more of an eye for 'quality beer' than Bradfield!
No you dare not! lol. Bradfield have it just about right.

To be honest, the Thornbridge ones just don't seem to go down well with me, bit too acidic. Like I said, each to their own

Plus I cant help thinking all that A4E money probably financed that brewery, but that's another topic

No you dare not! lol. Bradfield have it just about right.

To be honest, the Thornbridge ones just don't seem to go down well with me, bit too acidic. Like I said, each to their own

Plus I cant help thinking all that A4E money probably financed that brewery, but that's another topic

I find giving money to the A4E witch a more bitter experience than the beer ;)

I think Bradfield are very good at what they do, which is why it gets everywhere... but what they do just isn't my cup of tea (or beer), far too middle of the road for me, Thornbridge when they put their mind to it can produce some very complex and interesting beers, though the ones I like tend to be the ones that are not designed for a session and nor could I afford a session!

I only see this as a marketing exercise / dick-show from the brewery rather than being a quality beer.

If anything it's a bit of both. Thornbridge wouldn't have the demand for Jaipur X if they were making substandard beer. It reminds me somewhat of what Magic Rock did with "Unhuman Cannonball".

If anything it's a bit of both. Thornbridge wouldn't have the demand for Jaipur X if they were making substandard beer. It reminds me somewhat of what Magic Rock did with "Unhuman Cannonball".
the demand for Jaipur might be down to drinkers wanting to show off and 'be a man' rather than the taste. That's more of a suggestion that me trying to state a fact.

Bit like the Roger and Out of old - that was never a palatable drink was it?

However, I'm not a real conoseur, I just know what I like, Jaipur X might be a great beer

the demand for Jaipur might be down to drinkers wanting to show off and 'be a man' rather than the taste. That's more of a suggestion that me trying to state a fact.

However, I'm not a real conoseur, I just know what I like, Jaipur X might be a great beer

Even though I don't think Jaipur is the drink it was, such beers are often extremely tasty and as such worth drinking. Even if that means reverting to halves. "Manliness" doesn't come into it. More a preference for quality over quantity for me.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Once upon a time brewers made super-strong beer to prove they could do it - Roger & Out was a case in point! Now everyone knows they can do it, so for many brewers the challenge is to make a super-strong beer that actually tastes nice - it's very easy with strong beers to end up tasting like very rough sherry, or toffee & alcohol, or even just alcohol...

Jaipur would only serve as a 'show off and be a man' beer to those who know nothing about beer. These days the strength of Jaipur is fairly ordinary compared to what else is out there.

Not so long ago I remember Stella being 5.2% and people did used to drink that in the way you are claiming (hence the reputation it once got). But these days you go into a bar and see ABV in the 7's, or even double figures, quite regularly.

I was in the Broady a couple of weeks back and they had Arbor 'Down Deeperest' at 13.2% I asked what measures it was available in (hoping they would say thirds as I wasn't sure 6pm was the time for a half of something so strong). But apparently I could have had a pint if I had wanted (and could afford it!). I bet not too many did tho...

Edited by DnAuK

How much do we think we're going to be looking at for a pint of this? I'll find out later and report back, I'm guessing its going to be at the very least £5.50

As it's kegged I would be surprised to find it under £6 if I'm honest.

Tho SCA will soon tell us that the Shakey has it on for 56p ;c)