Times tables : why make children learn their 12x?

I was using the electric fire as an example. It doesn't matter what is being worked out, the point was that understanding how things are worked out helps you decide if the result on the calculator is correct.
Then I do not think we disagree that much, after all. I have made the same point myself in several posts.

It's not ampage by the way, it's amperage
Thank you! I didn't think it sounded right, but couldn't think of the correct term.

How is multiplication becoming obsolete..?

Most things can be worked out via google, it is better if you can do it in your head.

All this about 50% of kids going to UNI, its not needed, a good thing if we can afford all those kids not to work untill they are 21. This concentration on education is over-rated. How many jobs require algebra, scatter diagrams and Pythagoras Theoreum?

Most things can be worked out via google, it is better if you can do it in your head.

All this about 50% of kids going to UNI, its not needed, a good thing if we can afford all those kids not to work untill they are 21. This concentration on education is over-rated. How many jobs require algebra, scatter diagrams and Pythagoras Theoreum?

To be fair algebra, PT etc are GCSE level... although I do tend to agree, there is probably no need for 50% of kids to go to Uni.

jb

To be fair algebra, PT etc are GCSE level... although I do tend to agree, there is probably no need for 50% of kids to go to Uni.

jb

Algebra can be at any level you set it at. Do 50% of people go to university? I doubt it, so what you're saying is basically you want your snivelling kid to go to university meaning someone else can't

Then I do not think we disagree that much, after all. I have made the same point myself in several posts.

Thank you! I didn't think it sounded right, but couldn't think of the correct term.

Alright Alice, thanks. I have heard it said a lot that too much government meddling has done a lot of harm to education as well, and I can believe that.

Alright Alice, thanks. I have heard it said a lot that too much government meddling has done a lot of harm to education as well, and I can believe that.

I don't mind those elected to lead implementing policies which are innovative, well-considered and properly funded...but too often their 'reforms' are anti-educational and dropped on teachers from a great height, with little or no consultation and no understanding of how they'll affect schools or pupils.

I bet the people in the Ministry of Education who decided children should learn their 12x tables again don't have a clue why they think they should. It's just a knee-jerking, 'Let's get back to the 1950s and all our problems will be solved' kind of idea.

Just to be clear .... do you agree that children should have learnt their times tables (say ... up their 10-times table) by a certain age?

Is it reasonable to expect children leaving primary education to have mastered their 1 to 10 times tables?

Absolutely. But there is no reason to make them learn the 11x and 12x by heart since the chance of them being required in everyday life is negligible.

Let them learn by rote facts which will be useful.