When does freedom of speech become unacceptable?

No one has a right not to be offended. Freedom of speech is above that. Freedom of speech becomes wrong when it involves inciting unjustified violence and so forth. So criticising or questioning someone's faith can never be wrong. Stirring up fellow believers to murder in the name of a religion, for example, would always be wrong.

Well you don't say anything bad about Mohammed in Saudi Arabia we know for sure.

When is he due for the next flogging?

I should add, of course, that ridiculing a god, or the belief in that god or those gods, is an absolute and inalienable right, regardless of who chooses to be offended by it. Blasphemy is, after all, a victimless crime.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 23:39 ----------

Well you don't say anything bad about Mohammed in Saudi Arabia we know for sure.

When is he due for the next flogging?

Yes, lucky me that I don't live there. Which is why I intend never to allow such vile theocratic tyranny to take a hold in the UK!

The French are arresting people for comments seen as defending terrorism, it's a funny thing this freedom of speech malarkey and it seems to be used selectively IMO = http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-attacks-aftermath-french-police-arrest-54-people-for-defending-or-glorifying-terrorism-9977434.html

MAFYA

There is a world of difference between poking fun at somebodys religion or religous figure and trying to defend somebody who has made remarks gloryfying somebody being beheaded or burned alive as acceptable behaviour.

So please enlighten me as to which you think is the more repulsive.

If you are offended by comments made by anybody there are various channels you can go down or alternatively just ignore it and get on with your life.

• 11 months later...
There should absolutely not be a right not to be offended. If you are offended by the words someone says, walk away or stop reading.

A right not to be offended? are you saying that people should be offended all the time? :huh:

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 11:07 ----------

From Donald Trump to council meetings, free speech seems to be getting it in the neck at the moment.

On the flip side should people have the right to not be offended by other people's free speech?

Again, are you saying "should people have to be offended?"

Again, are you saying "should people have to be offended?"

Not at all. They can ignore the offence or give some back by pointing and telling them that they are a silly bugger if that floats their boat. :)

At some point it it can escalate to incitement but simply being offended isn't incitement, it's more of an invitation to expose stupidity. I think most of us can see where the common sense boundaries are in individual situations without the need for a blanket ban on a particular type of speech.

No, I am saying that people should not have a right not to be offended. That is different completely to me saying that people should be offended all the time.

If they don't have a right not to be offended, then they would have to be offended. Unless there is some other option I'm not seeing.

There should absolutely not be a right not to be offended. If you are offended by the words someone says, walk away or stop reading.

Or stop being offensive - most people know when they offend someone. What am I gaining by drawing a picture of Mohammed or launching a homophobic rant on Stephen frys Twitter feed. I'm just being a spiteful arse.