When does freedom of speech become unacceptable?

I think we should be able to say what we like about any god. In the unlikely event that any of them actually exist they should be quite capable of sorting out their own battles.

So god. If you exist take it up with me in the afterlife.

You've missed my point entirely. What I said was that religion used to determine what we could and couldn't say, nowadays most people have not got that limit and therefore we are having a discussion about what can and can't be said.

The French are arresting people for comments seen as defending terrorism, it's a funny thing this freedom of speech malarkey and it seems to be used selectively IMO = http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-attacks-aftermath-french-police-arrest-54-people-for-defending-or-glorifying-terrorism-9977434.html

It's a bit like Democracy. It's OK when it achieves a result you like, but when it results in a victory for Hamas or The Egyptian Brotherhood then it suddenly becomes less desirable.

In light of recent happenings locally and around the world (especially Paris). When does freedom of speech become unacceptable?

I had to disagree with David Cameron about being able to say or write what you want. I didn't hear what specifically he said, but I was told that what he said in a round about way.

Does a certain amount of freedom of speech have to be reconsidered, I think it does to some extent.

What's other peoples views? Personally I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer - just a discussion.

How light heartedly and willingly some of us are prepared to just throw our democratic rights to the wind :D

How light heartedly and willingly some of us are prepared to just throw our democratic rights to the wind :D

Nicely put, but I'm not sure that was what JonB was saying...

Put it this way : is it your 'democratic right', for example, to urge or pressurise people to hate, humiliate, bully and oppress other people (whether singly or in groups)?

The context in which people are free to do that has changed, has it not? Since the advent of social media, it's not just a case of nasty-minded National Front/BNP members meeting furtively in locked rooms to share their vileness in a limited way - the advent of universal literacy and social media have allowed anyone to get their 'message' across to most of the world's population (apart from China) very easily.

The question is, what curbs (if any) should be applied to that - should anyone be able to say or write anything they want, at any time, with impunity?

Edited by aliceBB