When does freedom of speech become unacceptable?

It most certainly would have some credence if what you said was true, can you please direct me to where ever there is some actual evidence of evolution.

To the best of my knowledge no hard evidence exists.

Plenty of assumptions and assertions I'll grant you that but alas as yet no evidence.

And before some half-wit makes another assumption ... I have yet to see any evidence for creationism either.

So I admit I do not know where all the different species and variations do or did come from.

http://talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

No but an understanding and an understanding that our religion is different to their religion. And I don't think it's intelligent not to understand this.

Their attitudes to their religion is similar to the attitudes to Christianity in Europe hundreds of years ago and there are huge differences between various Muslims. It's not that their religion is different.

It's being provocative - especially if we are not willing to respect other people's values and beliefs. And that's not to say that what the terrorists did were not pure evil because it was.

I just mean, we have to accept and be intelligent about it. It's not about giving up our rights. It's about thinking differently about it.

It's a complex issue. On one hand you ought to be able to say what you want, on the other hand... show intelligence and not insult people.

I wouldn't go up to the queen to her face and make sexual, vulgar, vile remarks about her, her mother and the sexual relationship between her and Prince Philip or say anything vulgar about the Queen mother. Even if it's a complete joke. I'd expect to get arrested

That would be deliberately going up to someone with the purpose of offending them which is the equivalent of going into a mosque and throwing cartoons of Mohammed around. That's not the same thing as Charlie Hebdo or the Jesus and Mo website carrying satirical cartoons of religious figures.

In addition. If you say anything offensive in the Middle East about a country leader... you'll end up in serious trouble. Rightly or wrongly, it's their belief and just because we don't agree with it, doesn't mean its wrong.

Following their cultural norms in their countries is reasonable - expecting us follow their cultural norms in our is not.

It most certainly would have some credence if what you said was true, can you please direct me to where ever there is some actual evidence of evolution.

To the best of my knowledge no hard evidence exists.

Plenty of assumptions and assertions I'll grant you that but alas as yet no evidence.

And before some half-wit makes another assumption ... I have yet to see any evidence for creationism either.

So I admit I do not know where all the different species and variations do or did come from.

You sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

jb

Freedom of speech becomes unacceptable when inconvenient truths embarrass the politically correct; that is when they decide that people shouldn't be allowed to say that any more.

I cannot understand how it can be offensive to express the view that someone's god is a figment of their imagination. If they were to bring proof of that existence then I would be happy to appologise for any offence caused.

IS is an aberration though isn't it? The man they burnt alive was a Muslim.

It isn't about religion except as a ready made excuse for barbarism.

Like many times before - with different religions being used as the excuse - it's about power.

I'd agree, religion is mainly used as an excuse for control of power - whether than be at a national level or even all the way down to within the home.

Anyway, back to the OP, there is a limit on freedom of speech because every action is liable to create a reaction.

People who genuinely believe they have a point to make should be allowed to make it whether or not the rest of us agree.

Again, I agree.

On the other hand, people who are simply using freedom of speech to be obnoxious and abuse others simply because they get some kind of kick out of it deserve a punch on the nose.

They do not deserve more than that though, killing someone because they have upset you is an over reaction to an unacceptable degree.

The problem is, where do you draw the line between someone who genuinely believes they have a point to make an someone a being deliberately offensive? Not with extreme examples - that's easy. What about at the fuzzy boundaries?

Their attitudes to their religion is similar to the attitudes to Christianity in Europe hundreds of years ago and there are huge differences between various Muslims. It's not that their religion is different.

No, if I gave you that impression then I apologies. I think I've stated well that their value and beliefs are different to ours when it comes down to religion.

That would be deliberately going up to someone with the purpose of offending them which is the equivalent of going into a mosque and throwing cartoons of Mohammed around. That's not the same thing as Charlie Hebdo or the Jesus and Mo website carrying satirical cartoons of religious figures.

Yes, and all I'm saying is that we need to understand them that it's not acceptable - according to them. And the west don't understand the mentality.

Following their cultural norms in their countries is reasonable - expecting us follow their cultural norms in our is not.

That's very wrong of you to say so. The world in a lot smaller now and we have to learn how to live with one another. That's part of the problem. Our country, against everyone else's country. When will we learn that the world works best as an whole. And if this is unacceptable, then we should learn and understand one and other.

Edited by JonBladesman

That's very wrong of you to say so. The world in a lot smaller now and we have to learn how to live with one another. That's part of the problem. Our country, against everyone else's country. When will we learn that the world works best as an whole. And if this is unacceptable, then we should learn and understand one and other.

So if I were to claim the world was flat would it be offensive for someone to suggest that it wasn't?