Argentina orders new warship from China.

The ship built by the Chinese was said to have been accepted late last year and the vessel will be known as the Malvinas class referring to the Argentine name for the Falkland Islands.

I wouldn't worry, its probably made of cheap plastic and will fall apart in a few days.

I would have hoped that since the war with Argentina ended the British Forces have installed a lot of surface to air missiles, anti ship missiles and an RAF base with a complement of front line fighter interceptors. A nuclear sub permanently on station would have also been a good idea. That is if the UK is really serious about holding onto the island in the long term

---------- Post added 05-02-2015 at 07:06 ----------

I wouldn't worry, its probably made of cheap plastic and will fall apart in a few days.

It came pre-packed with simple easy to follow assembly instructions in four languages

The ship built by the Chinese was said to have been accepted late last year and the vessel will be known as the Malvinas class referring to the Argentine name for the Falkland Islands. China has regularly pledged support to Argentina over its claim to sovereignty of the Falkland Islands, with Argentina acknowledging China's sovereignty over the island of Taiwan in return.

I wonder why they want that?

Source from the Express.

Makes a change from us selling the Argentinians weapons and ships.

"Britain was offering to sell arms to the Argentinian dictatorship just three days before the invasion of the Falkland Islands, newly released documents in the National Archive show. The British Defence Attaché in Buenos Aires sent a telegram to the Ministry of Defence in London on 29 March 1982 saying that the Argentine air force had an "interest in acquiring extra squadron bombers". The British Defence Attaché planned to meet the head of the Argentine air force the "next week" to discuss the sale"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-ready-to-sell-aircraft-to-junta-just-days-before-falklands-attack-8604088.html

I've just looked at the ships that Argentina are getting and I don't think that they're anything more than a political gesture.

They're relatively cheap, small ships, only 1800 tonnes and 95 meters long. So I don't think that they'd be useful in any conflict in the heavy waters of the South Atlantic.

To put this into perspective, it is thought that we're are going to replace the current air defence system covering the Falklands costing us a rumoured $333 million.

Makes a change from us selling the Argentinians weapons and ships.

"Britain was offering to sell arms to the Argentinian dictatorship just three days before the invasion of the Falkland Islands, newly released documents in the National Archive show. The British Defence Attaché in Buenos Aires sent a telegram to the Ministry of Defence in London on 29 March 1982 saying that the Argentine air force had an "interest in acquiring extra squadron bombers". The British Defence Attaché planned to meet the head of the Argentine air force the "next week" to discuss the sale"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-ready-to-sell-aircraft-to-junta-just-days-before-falklands-attack-8604088.html

I assume that the word "Sale" is relevant, as the Chinese are not exchanging money (or corned beef!!:hihi::hihi:) in this deal. It appears its a gesture from China, looking towards a joint venture in oil pipelines. Seems they want to bolster Argentina's war machine in preparation.

I would have hoped that since the war with Argentina ended the British Forces have installed a lot of surface to air missiles, anti ship missiles and an RAF base with a complement of front line fighter interceptors. A nuclear sub permanently on station would have also been a good idea. That is if the UK is really serious about holding onto the island in the long term

We did.

The force on station before the war was little more than a holiday camp.

Now it's protected by Typhoon fighters, surface to air missiles and there's often a sub or two lurking around there (obviously the location is kept quiet)

In real terms the Argentine military has not improved since the last war, any attempt to invade would be disastrous for them - it'd be a complete bloodbath.

We did.

The force on station before the war was little more than a holiday camp.

Now it's protected by Typhoon fighters, surface to air missiles and there's often a sub or two lurking around there (obviously the location is kept quiet)

In real terms the Argentine military has not improved since the last war, any attempt to invade would be disastrous for them - it'd be a complete bloodbath.

That is comforting to know, but would the Chinese assist them, should another conflict occur?

The ship built by the Chinese was said to have been accepted late last year and the vessel will be known as the Malvinas class referring to the Argentine name for the Falkland Islands. China has regularly pledged support to Argentina over its claim to sovereignty of the Falkland Islands, with Argentina acknowledging China's sovereignty over the island of Taiwan in return.

I wonder why they want that?

Source from the Express.

To defend their country perhaps? Countries have a right to have a navy.